Astros double up MetsMay 2, 2012 - 6:18 AM
Lowrie hit a two-run blast in the first inning and Snyder followed with a three-run shot in the second. J.D. Martinez added an RBI for Houston, which has won the first two of this three-game series.
"It's much better to win from in front than from behind," said Astros manager Brad Mills.
Happ (2-1) allowed three runs on six hits while striking out seven over 6 1/3 frames. Brett Myers tossed a 1-2-3 ninth for his sixth save of the season.
Scott Hairston, Andres Torres and Josh Thole had an RBI apiece for New York, while Jon Niese (2-1) lasted just three innings and was charged with five runs in the loss.
"I think Jon made a couple of mistakes and it came back to hurt him but he'll be ready his next start," said Mets manager Terry Collins.
The Mets, who had won five of six games entering this series, got to Happ in the fourth. Justin Turner led off with a double and stole third while Hairston drew a walk to place runners at the corners. Torres and Thole followed with consecutive two-out RBI singles to make it 5-2.
In the fifth, Turner walked with two down, advanced to second on David Wright's single and crossed the plate on Hairston's base hit to left.
New York would get no closer, though, as Ike Davis struck out to end the inning and Martinez worked a bases-loaded walk in the sixth to cap the scoring.
Lowrie walked three times...On Tuesday, Astros pitcher Kyle Weiland underwent arthroscopic surgery to treat an infection in his right shoulder. Weiland, who was put on the 15-day disabled list Friday, has gone 0-3 with a 6.62 earned run average in three starts thus far for Houston. The right-hander was traded from Boston to the Astros this past winter...Niese saw his streak of four straight quality starts come to an end.
- NEW YORK: 3
May 1 10:51 PM
- J.D. Martinez walk scored J.A. Happ with two out. Bases loaded and Carlos Lee due up.
Mets 3, Astros 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 1 10:12 PM
- Scott Hairston single to left scored Justin Turner with two out. On the play, David Wright advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 3, Astros 5 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 1 9:34 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Lucas Duda struck out swinging to end the inning.
Mets 2, Astros 5 Mid 4May 1 9:12 PM
- Andres Torres single to center scored Justin Turner with two out. On the play, Scott Hairston advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 1, Astros 5 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 1 9:09 PM
- Chris Snyder none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Brian Bogusevic and Justin Maxwell. J.A. Happ due up.
Mets 0, Astros 5 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 1 8:34 PM
- Jed Lowrie none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jose Altuve. J.D. Martinez due up.
Mets 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 1 8:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
May 1 8:09 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21