Astros edge MarlinsMay 9, 2012 - 4:36 AM
Bogusevic's double was the only extra-base hit for Houston, while six other Astros added singles, including starter Aneury Rodriguez, who gave up two runs on two hits while fanning six over six innings.
"I think pinch-hitting is one of those things where the more you do it, the more comfortable you get," Bogusevic said. "You kind of get a feel for things you want to and things you might want to stay away from in that situation."
Wilton Lopez (3-0) tossed a scoreless eighth to collect the win and Brett Myers earned his eighth save of the season despite allowing a hit in the ninth. Houston snapped a brief two-game skid.
The Marlins got solo homers from Omar Infante and John Buck, but it wasn't enough as their seven-game winning streak came to an end.
Ryan Webb (1-1) allowed Bogusevic's game-deciding hit to absorb the loss.
With the game tied at 2-2, the Astros took the lead for good in the eighth. Travis Buck started the two-out rally by slapping a single into right field and Bogusevic followed with a double down the line in left to bring home Buck.
In the ninth, Myers induced groundouts from Emilio Bonifacio and Hanley Ramirez. He then allowed a single to Logan Morrison, but recovered and got Infante to roll into a fielder's choice to end the game.
Earlier, the Marlins broke the scoreless deadlock in the fourth when Infante turned on a high fastball from Rodriguez and sent it four rows back into the left-field seats for the Marlins' first hit of the game and a 1-0 lead.
It was 2-0 for the Marlins in the fifth after Buck got a fastball that ran up and in and ripped it just over the wall and into the first row in left field.
Houston struck for a pair of runs in the sixth with a little help from some poor defensive execution by the Marlins.
Pinch-hitter Marwin Gonzalez started the frame with a single, Jose Altuve reached on an infield single to shortstop and Carlos Lee walked following a groundout by Jed Lowrie to load the bases with two outs.
Buck then slapped a grounder to Infante, but he couldn't come up with it cleanly. Infante then compounded the blunder by throwing the ball away, which allowed Gonzalez and Altuve to score.
"Omar's one of the best second basemen in the league," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said. "Guys make errors, that's part of the game and I have no problem with it."
Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton had his 10-game hitting streak snapped...Rodriguez was called up from Triple-A Oklahoma City earlier in the day on Tuesday and made his first start of the season...The Marlins fell to 9-10 away from home this season...Miami went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and stranded three, while the Astros finished 0-for-5 with men in scoring position and left seven on base.
- MIAMI: 2
May 8 10:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brian Bogusevic double to left scored Travis Buck. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Marlins 2, Astros 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 8 10:16 PM
- Travis Buck reached first on Omar Infante's fielding error scoring Marwin Gonzalez. On the play Jose Altuve scored on Omar Infante's throwing error and Carlos Lee advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and J.D. Martinez due up.
Marlins 2, Astros 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 8 9:48 PM
- John Buck one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Anibal Sanchez due up.
Marlins 2, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 8 9:11 PM
- Omar Infante two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 8 9:00 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 8:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21