Harrison lifts Pirates over Astros in 12thMay 13, 2012 - 11:20 PM
Clint Barmes led off the frame with a double into left off of Fernando Rodriguez (1-4) before Harrison lofted a single into left, allowing Barmes to score from second as the Pirates wrapped up a nine-game homestand at 5-4.
"That was a huge at-bat," said Barmes about Harrison's hit. "I couldn't be happier for him. Those are fun games to play, especially when you end up on the winning side of things."
Tony Watson (3-0) got the victory after tossing a scoreless top of the 12th while starter A.J. Burnett yielded just two runs on six hits while striking out four over eight innings of work.
Houston starter Wandy Rodriguez surrendered one run on three hits while fanning seven over eight innings before Brett Myers suffered his first blown save of the season when he allowed a run in the ninth.
Carlos Lee finished with two hits and scored both of the Astros runs but Houston fell for the third time in four tries.
"The last few innings, we didn't get a hit," remarked Houston manager Brad Mills. "That's kind of tough to try to string something together."
The Pirates struck first in their first at-bat as Neil Walker laced a one-out double down the left-field line and Andrew McCutchen followed with a double to nearly the same spot to plate Walker for a 1-0 lead.
Burnett faced the minimum through four but ran into trouble in the fifth when Lee ripped a leadoff double into center field and came around to score on a two-out single from Jason Castro, tying to game at 1-1.
Lee and Brian Bogusevic each slapped one-out singles before Chris Johnson ripped one through the hole on the left side of the infield, scoring Lee from second to give the Astros a 2-1 lead.
Pittsburgh would not go quietly in the ninth as Jose Tabata worked a leadoff walk and Walker followed with a double into the right-field corner before McCutchen was intentionally walked to load the bases.
Pedro Alvarez then lifted a sac fly into left field, tying the game at 2-2, as Myers earned his first blown save in nine opportunities.
The Pirates begin a seven-game road trip with a brief two-game set in Miami on Monday...Harrison's walk-off hit was the first of his career...The game was delayed 29 minutes due to rain.
- HOUSTON: 2
May 13 5:38 PM
- Josh Harrison singled to left scored Clint Barmes with two outs to end the game.
Astros 2, Pirates 3 Bot 12, 2 OutsMay 13 5:38 PM
- Pedro Alvarez sacrifice fly out to left scored Jose Tabata. Runners on first and second with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Astros 2, Pirates 2 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 13 4:34 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to left scored Carlos Lee. On the play, Brian Bogusevic advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 2, Pirates 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 13 3:38 PM
- Jason Castro singled to left scored Carlos Lee. Runner on first with two outs and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 13 3:11 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubled to left scored Neil Walker. Runner on second with one out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Astros 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 13 2:15 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 2:04 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21