Maxwell helps Astros down CardinalsJun 6, 2012 - 5:34 AM
Brian Bogusevic hit a solo home run while Jose Altuve went 4-for-5 with three runs scored for the Astros, who have won two straight following an eight-game losing streak. Lucas Harrell (5-4) got the win as he gave up four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits over six innings.
Matt Adams hit a three-run home run, Rafael Furcal added a two-run shot and Adron Chambers hit a two-run triple for the Cardinals, who have dropped six of seven. Jaime Garcia (3-4) lasted just two innings as he was tagged for six runs on five hits with two walks.
"I'm going to have to get some things looked at because I'm struggling right now," said Garcia. "But I have to more forward if I want to get out of this and scratch out some wins for the team."
Carrying a five-run lead to start the ninth, it wasn't easy for the Astros to close out the game.
David Carpenter started on the mound and promptly gave up a single to Matt Adams. Following a Steven Hill strikeout, Tony Cruz singled and Chambers brought both runners home with a triple.
Brett Myers then took the hill and Furcal greeted him with a shot off the right field foul pole to make it a one-run game. He then got Carlos Beltran to pop out, but walked Matt Holliday to put the go-ahead run at the plate. Allen Craig, though, grounded out and Myers picked up his 14th save of the season.
"Any time you win a game like that it's huge," said Astros manager Brad Mills. "Of course you want to keep the momentum and not have it be so close, but the bats came through for us and Myers locked it down."
Holliday's run-scoring groundout staked the Cardinals to a 1-0 lead in the first inning, but the Astros answered in the bottom of the frame.
Altuve led off with a double, but the next two batters recorded outs. J.D. Martinez, though, kept the inning alive with a single to plate Altuve and the next two batters walked to load the bases. A wild pitch then scored Martinez and Chris Snyder followed with a two-run single for a 4-1 lead.
Maxwell's two-run homer in the second gave Houston a 6-1 advantage.
The Cardinals cut their deficit to two in the third off of Adam's two-out, three-run homer to center, but the Astros got one back in the fourth on Bogusevic's leadoff blast to right.
Houston plated another run in the sixth as Altuve hit a two-out double and scored when Jed Lowrie's bunt back to the mound saw Sam Freeman throw the ball away to first for an 8-4 advantage.
Back-to-back doubles from Chris Johnson and Brett Wallace in the seventh made it a 9-4 contest.
Houston has taken three of four from the Cardinals this season...Garcia had skipped his last start due to elbow discomfort. He fell to 0-5 in seven starts against the Astros...Adam Wainwright pitches for St. Louis on Wednesday while Bud Norris will take the mound for Houston.
- ST. LOUIS: 8
Jun 5 11:16 PM
- Rafael Furcal one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Adron Chambers. Daniel Descalso is due up.
Cardinals 8, Astros 9 Top 9, 1 OutJun 5 11:11 PM
- Adron Chambers tripled to center scoring Matt Adams and Tony Cruz. Runner on third with one out and Rafael Furcal due up.
Cardinals 6, Astros 9 Top 9, 1 OutJun 5 11:06 PM
- Brett Wallace doubled to right scoring Chris Johnson. Runner on second with one out and Chris Snyder due up.
Cardinals 4, Astros 9 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 5 10:38 PM
- Jed Lowrie reached second on Sam Freeman's throwing error which scored Jose Altuve. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Maxwell due up.
Cardinals 4, Astros 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 5 10:21 PM
- Jose Altuve singled to center. Runner on first with one out and Jed Lowrie due up.
Cardinals 4, Astros 7 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 5 9:31 PM
- Matt Adams two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scored Allen Craig and David Freese. Shane Robinson is due up.
Cardinals 4, Astros 6 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 5 9:07 PM
- Justin Maxwell two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Jose Altuve. J.D. Martinez is due up.
Cardinals 1, Astros 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 5 8:56 PM
- Chris Snyder singled to left scoring Chris Johnson and Brett Wallace. Runner on first with two outs and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Cardinals 1, Astros 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 5 8:35 PM
- J.D. Martinez singled to center scoring Jose Altuve. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Cardinals 1, Astros 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 5 8:25 PM
- David Freese lined out to right to end the inning.
Cardinals 1, Astros 0 Mid 1Jun 5 8:15 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 8:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21