Freese helps Cards crush AstrosJun 8, 2012 - 6:28 AM
Rafael Furcal went 3-for-5 with a pair of RBI, Carlos Beltran ripped a solo shot, had two RBI and scored twice, Shane Robinson crushed a two-run homer and Allen Craig added a pair of RBI for the Cardinals, who have won three of four since dropping five straight.
Lance Lynn (9-2) allowed two runs on six hits over six innings while striking out a career-high 11 batters to earn the win. With the victory, Lynn moves into a tie for the major league lead in wins with Mets hurler R. A. Dickey, who beat the Nationals on Thursday.
"Lance was good. You could tell he felt really good today," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny about Lynn. "The ball was jumping out of his hand."
Jed Lowrie ripped a solo homer and Chris Johnson had an RBI double for the Astros, losers in 10 of their last 12 contests.
J. A. Happ (4-6) yielded four runs on five hits and five walks with six strikeouts in 4 2/3 innings to take the loss.
Trailing 2-0 after two frames, St. Louis took the lead and control of the game in the third with three runs. Tyler Greene started the frame with a base hit up the middle and Robinson walked. After both runners moved up a base on a sacrifice bunt by Lynn, Furcal reached on a bunt single to score Greene for the first run of the inning. Beltran brought in Robinson with a sac-fly and Craig drove in Furcal two batters later to make it 3-2.
"I felt real good coming out and then in that third I just made it harder than it needed to be," admitted Happ. "They did a good job of fouling a lot of pitches off and battled and I let a couple of guys go."
Beltran belted a one-out solo shot over the wall in left-center in the fifth to extend the lead to 4-2, and the Cards would add to their lead in each of their next two at-bats to put the game away for good.
Robinson ripped a base hit up the middle and moved to second on a Lynn sacrifice in the sixth before scoring on a base hit by Furcal, and the Cards made it a laugher in the seventh, plating seven runs to take a 10-run lead.
Robinson started the rally by blasting a two-run shot into left. Furcal singled and Beltran and Matt Holliday walked to load the bases with two outs. Craig then ripped a base hit off Astros reliever Wesley Wright to score Furcal and Freese followed with the big blow of the game -- a moon shot grand slam to left -- to put St. Louis ahead 12-2.
Freese added his second homer of the game in the ninth with a two-run blast off of outfielder Brian Bogusevic to account for the final margin.
Houston jumped on top in its first at-bat when Lowrie ripped a solo shot into the left field seats off Lynn for the first run of the game.
The Astros quickly extended their lead to 2-0 in the second when Brett Wallace belted a double down the right field line and scored on a double to right by Johnson.
Prior to Thursday's game, the Cardinals placed pitcher Jaime Garcia on the 15- day disabled list and recalled pitcher Fernando Salas from Triple-A Memphis...Also on Thursday, the Astros reached contract agreements with No. 1 overall draft selection Carlos Correa and third-round pick Brady Rodgers...Bogusevic pitched the top of the ninth and allowed two runs on three hits...St. Louis went 5-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left 14 on base.
- ST. LOUIS: 14
Jun 7 11:50 PM
- David Freese one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (12) to left scored Allen Craig. Fernando Salas due up.
Cardinals 14, Astros 2 Top 9, 1 OutJun 7 11:42 PM
- David Freese two-out, Grand Slam (11) to left scored Carlos Beltran, Matt Holliday and Allen Craig. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 12, Astros 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 7 11:04 PM
- Allen Craig single to left scored Rafael Furcal with two out. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to second and Carlos Beltran advances to third. Bases loaded and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 8, Astros 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 7 11:03 PM
- Shane Robinson one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Yadier Molina. Lance Lynn due up.
Cardinals 7, Astros 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 7 10:50 PM
- Carlos Beltran grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short. On the play, Rafael Furcal out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 5, Astros 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 7 10:14 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 4, Astros 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 7 9:40 PM
- Allen Craig single to scored Rafael Furcal with two out. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to third. Runners on first and third and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 3, Astros 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 7 9:06 PM
- Carlos Beltran sacrifice fly to right scored Shane Robinson with two out. Runner on first and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 2, Astros 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 7 8:59 PM
- Rafael Furcal bunt single to first scored Tyler Greene with one out. On the play, Shane Robinson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 1, Astros 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 7 8:57 PM
- Chris Johnson double to right scored Brett Wallace with none out. Runner on second and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Cardinals 0, Astros 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 7 8:32 PM
- J.D. Martinez grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Cardinals 0, Astros 1 End 1Jun 7 8:19 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Jun 7 8:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21