Padres edge Astros on Quentin's RBI in 10thJun 26, 2012 - 5:57 AM
Brandon Lyon (0-2) entered in the 10th for the Astros and issued a one-out walk to Chase Headley. Headley quickly swiped second before coming around to score on Quentin's go-ahead double to right.
"The last number of games for Carlos (Quentin), he's just been a tick off. So hopefully, two hits tonight, hard line drives up the middle the other way, gets him going again," San Diego manager Bud Black said. "That was a huge hit."
Huston Street fired a scoreless bottom of the 10th to record his 11th save of the year and nail down San Diego's third win in their last four tries.
Jesus Guzman crushed a two-run homer in the eighth, while Dale Thayer (1-2) earned the victory after tossing a perfect ninth.
Brian Bixler and Carlos Lee each hit solo shots in the first and Jason Castro added a solo blast in the eighth to knot the game at 7-7, but the Astros lost for the seventh time in their last 10 games.
Castro's two-out homer in the eighth came after Guzman gave the Padres a 7-6 lead in the top of the frame with a two-run shot into the left-field seats.
Earlier in the game, Bixler and Lee gave the home team a 2-0 lead in the first, but the Padres battled back in the second as Guzman and Logan Forsythe stroked consecutive one-out singles to put runners on the corners before Everth Cabrera's bunt single scored Guzman from third.
Nick Hundley then ripped a double to left to plate Forsythe and Cabrera before coming around to score two batters later on Chris Denorfia's single to right to give the visitors a 4-2 advantage.
Houston responded in the bottom half as Castro clubbed a leadoff double and quickly scored on a single to center from J.D. Martinez to bring the Astros within a run.
San Diego restored its two-run lead in the third as Quentin singled, moved to second on a fielder's choice and crossed home on Fosythe's base hit to right.
Bixler doubled to start the bottom of the fourth, but back-to-back fly outs found him stuck on second. Brian Bogusevic then worked a two-out walk and Chris Johnson plated Bixler with a line drive to center to make it 5-4 game.
A walk to Castro then loaded the bases before Martinez followed suit with a four-pitch walk to plate Bogusevic and tie the game at 5-5.
Houston then jumped in front in the fifth as Bixler coaxed a one-out walk and moved to second on Brad Boxberger's errant pickoff attempt to first. Jed Lowrie then clubbed a double to right, scoring Bixler and giving the Astros a 6-5 advantage.
"We were one big hit away," said Houston manager Brad Mills, whose team left the bases loaded in the second, third and fourth innings and stranded 13 runners on base.
Denorfia extended his hit streak to 12 games with his RBI single in the second...San Diego starter Ross Ohlendorf allowed five runs on eight hits and four walks in just 3 2/3 innings of work...Wandy Rodriguez went 6 2/3 innings in the start for Houston and gave up five runs on eight hits while striking out six...San Diego has now won four straight games against Houston...Astros second baseman Jose Altuve was not in the lineup after straining his right hamstring while running to first base during Sunday's 7-1 win over the Cleveland Indians.
- SAN DIEGO: 8
Jun 25 11:49 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to right center scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on second and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 8, Astros 7 Top 10, 1 OutJun 25 11:33 PM
- Brett Myers starts the inning for the Astros.
Padres 7, Astros 7 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 25 11:09 PM
- Jesus Guzman two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Cameron Maybin. Logan Forsythe due up.
Padres 7, Astros 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 25 10:56 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to right scored Brian Bixler with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Lee due up.
Padres 5, Astros 6 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 25 9:59 PM
- J.D. Martinez walk scored Brian Bogusevic with two outs.. Bases loaded and Jordan Schafer due up.
Padres 5, Astros 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 25 9:44 PM
- Jason Castro walked. Bases loaded with two outs and J.D. Martinez due up.
Padres 5, Astros 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 25 9:39 PM
- Logan Forsythe single to right scored Carlos Quentin with two outs. Runner on second and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 5, Astros 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 25 9:06 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to center scored Jason Castro with none out. Runner on first and Jordan Schafer due up.
Padres 4, Astros 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 25 8:44 PM
- Chris Denorfia single to right scored Nick Hundley with two outs. Runner on first and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 4, Astros 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 25 8:35 PM
- Nick Hundley double to left center scored Logan Forsythe and Everth Cabrera with one out. Runner on second and Ross Ohlendorf due up.
Padres 3, Astros 2 Top 2, 1 OutJun 25 8:33 PM
- Everth Cabrera bunt single to pitcher scored Jesus Guzman with one out. On the play, Logan Forsythe advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 1, Astros 2 Top 2, 1 OutJun 25 8:30 PM
- Carlos Lee one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Padres 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 25 8:18 PM
- Brian Bixler lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Jed Lowrie due up.
Padres 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 25 8:13 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 8:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21