Richard, Padres edge woeful AstrosJul 19, 2012 - 12:16 AM
Richard (7-10) lasted 8 1/3 frames, allowing four runs on nine hits, including two homers by Matt Downs. He struck out two, did not issue a walk, and snapped a personal two-game losing streak.
"Clayton had a great day," said Padres manager Bud Black. "He set the tone."
Chris Denorfia drove in a pair during a five-run fourth inning for the Padres, who have won four of five overall, including two of three in this four-game series.
Wandy Rodriguez (7-8) took a perfect game into the fourth, where he was charged with five runs on four hits. The lefty was relieved at the start of the fifth, ending his National League-leading streak of 48 consecutive starts of at least five innings.
Downs hit a three-run homer in the sixth and a solo blast in the ninth for the Astros, who have lost 15 of their last 17 games.
"I don't know if I've done that since little league. I've never hit a multi- homer game. It is a great accomplishment, I guess, for me, but still we lost," said Downs.
In addition to his effort on the mound, Richard scored Everth Cabrera with a sixth-inning double off the base of the wall in right-center field.
Alonso had a pair doubles, capping the fourth-inning barrage with a two-run gapper, then scoring Denorfia in the seventh with a line drive into the right field corner.
The Padres loaded the bases to begin the fourth, getting a single from Alexi Ramirez, a walk to Logan Forsythe and an infield hit by Chase Headley, before Rodriguez's wild pitch allowed the runners to advance.
Carlos Quentin then walked, loading the bases again, in front of Denorfia's two-run base hit through the left side of the infield.
An inning later, Headley reached with a two-out single, advanced to third on Enerio Del Rosario's botched pickoff attempt, then scored when Downs' throw across the diamond escaped into left field.
Huston Street recorded the final out of the ninth, stranding a pair, to pick up his 15th save of the season.
Street has made 12 consecutive scoreless appearances and hasn't allowed a run since June 17...Downs hit his sixth and seventh home runs of the season...Rodriguez's five-inning streak was the third-longest active run in the major leagues behind the Yankees' CC Sabathia (76 games) and the Tigers' Justin Verlander (71 games).
- HOUSTON: 4
SAN DIEGO: 8
Jul 18 6:05 PM
- Matt Downs one-out, solo Home Run 2 (7) to left. Rhiner Cruz due up.
Astros 4, Padres 8 Top 9, 1 OutJul 18 5:49 PM
- Everth Cabrera grounded out second to first. On the play, Yonder Alonso advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and John Baker due up.
Astros 3, Padres 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 18 5:34 PM
- Clayton Richard doubled to right center scoring Everth Cabrera. Runner on second with one out and Alexi Amarista due up.
Astros 3, Padres 7 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 18 5:09 PM
- Matt Downs two-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Justin Maxwell and J.D. Martinez. Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 3, Padres 6 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 18 5:00 PM
- Chase Headley advanced to third on Enerio Del Rosario's throwing error. On the play, Matt Downs' throwing error scored Chase Headley. None on with two outs and Carlos Quentin at the plate.
Astros 0, Padres 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 18 4:50 PM
- Yonder Alonso doubled to left center scoring Carlos Quentin and Chris Denorfia. Runner on second with none out and Jesus Guzman due up.
Astros 0, Padres 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 18 4:29 PM
- Chris Denorfia singled to left scoring Logan Forsythe and Chase Headley. On the play, Carlos Quentin advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Astros 0, Padres 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 18 4:27 PM
- Wandy Rodriguez' wild pitch scored Alexi Amarista. Chase Headley advances to second on a wild pitch. Logan Forsythe advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and with none out and Carlos Quentin at the plate.
Astros 0, Padres 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 18 4:21 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 18 3:38 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21