Brewers pound Astros to cap sweepAug 1, 2012 - 10:52 PM
Braun knocked in a pair during a six-run fifth inning, then belted his 29th homer of the season in the sixth.
Rickie Weeks and Cesar Izturis both homered during the fifth, while Jonathan Lucroy later added a two-run blast for the Brewers, who had lost nine of 10 games entering this series.
"We've been really frustrated," said Braun. "A lot of games have been demoralizing. We've had a lot of difficult games with the way we lost them, but our confidence is still there."
Mike Fiers (5-4) earned the win, allowing two runs on eight hits over six-plus innings. He did not issue a walk and struck out six en route to his eighth straight quality start.
Brett Wallace recorded the first multi-homer game of his career, belting a solo shot and a two-run bomb for the Astros, who had more errors (four) over the first four innings on Wednesday than they had wins in the month of July (three).
Jordan Lyles (2-8) lasted five innings and allowed nine runs -- seven earned -- on nine hits in the loss.
Third baseman Scott Moore made two of those errors in the first inning, misplaying a pair of ground balls. The initial gaffe allowed leadoff batter Nyjer Morgan to reach base. After a steal, a walk and a groundout, Moore's second error permitted Morgan to score from third.
"We gave a good hitting team five outs," said Astros manager Brad Mills. "You can't do that."
Jose Altuve tied the game with a two-out RBI single in the third, but his throwing error helped the Brewers go on top an inning later.
Wallace crushed a leadoff homer in the fourth for a 2-1 lead, but with the bases loaded and two down in the bottom half, Altuve fielded Izturis' grounder up the middle and attempted to flip the ball to second base with his glove. Instead, the toss went wide and rolled onto the infield grass as two runs crossed the plate.
Izturis was credited with a single and an RBI on the play, while Altuve's throwing error resulted in a 3-2 Milwaukee lead.
An inning later, Braun's two-run single up the middle opened the floodgates. Corey Hart followed with an RBI double before Weeks blasted a two-run homer to right-center field.
Izturis capped the frame with a two-out solo shot and also doubled and scored on Morgan's seventh-inning single.
Lucroy hit his sixth homer of the season earlier in the seventh, scoring Weeks, while Wallace went deep again in the eighth.
Fiers has nine quality starts on the season...Lyles has lost four straight decisions...The Astros went 3-24 in July. On the season, they are 10-44 on the road, compared to 25-27 at home.
- HOUSTON: 4
Aug 1 5:33 PM
- Brett Wallace none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (4) to center scored Scott Moore. Ben Francisco due up.
Astros 4, Brewers 13 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 1 5:11 PM
- Nyjer Morgan single to center scored Cesar Izturis. Runner on first with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 13 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 1 5:00 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Rickie Weeks. Cesar Izturis due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 12 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 1 4:54 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, solo Home Run (29) to right. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 1 4:28 PM
- Cesar Izturis two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Michael Fiers due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 1 4:00 PM
- Rickie Weeks one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Corey Hart. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 8 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 1 3:58 PM
- Ryan Braun single to center scored Nyjer Morgan and Carlos Gomez. Runner on first with none out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 1 3:49 PM
- Cesar Izturis infield single to second scored Ryan Braun and Corey Hart. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to second on Jose Altuve's throwing error. Runners on first and second with two outs and Michael Fiers due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 1 3:33 PM
- Brett Wallace lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Ben Francisco due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 1 3:09 PM
- Jose Altuve single to right scored Jordan Schafer. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Scott Moore due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 1 2:57 PM
- Corey Hart grounded into a double play, short to second to first. On the play, Aramis Ramirez out at second to end the inning.
Astros 0, Brewers 1 End 1Aug 1 2:31 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 1 2:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21