McCutchen leads Pirates past AstrosSep 5, 2012 - 4:45 AM
Rodriguez (10-13), acquired from the Astros for three minor leaguers in July, scattered four hits and one walk while striking out seven over seven shutout innings.
"It's very special for me because I played for the Astros for a long time," said Rodriguez, who spent the first seven-plus years of his career in Houston.
Brock Holt, in his fourth career game, went 4-for-5 with two runs scored out of the leadoff spot for the Pirates, who lost the opener of this three-game series, 5-1, on Monday.
Pittsburgh is 2 1/2 games back of a wild card spot.
Jordan Lyles (3-11) surrendered five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and one walk over 4 2/3 innings to take the loss, Houston's eighth in its last 10 games.
Brett Wallace and Chris Snyder each drove in a run off Pittsburgh's bullpen in the eighth inning, but by then the Astros trailed, 6-0.
McCutchen pulled one down the third-base line in the first inning, and the ricochet off the stands in foul territory allowed Travis Snider to score from first.
Run-scoring singles by McCutchen and Garrett Jones in the third made it 3-0, and the Pirates tacked on three more in the fifth -- the first coming on another RBI single by McCutchen.
The other two runs came around to score when Tyler Greene missed a routine pop-up in the infield, and the hosts rolled from there.
"They have a nice team over there. They have a couple of veterans with some young kids mixed in," Astros interim manager Tony DeFrancesco said of the Pirates.
Rain delayed the start of the game one hour, 15 minutes ... The Pirates improved to 41-27 at home this year, clinching their second-ever winning season at PNC Park (2006) ... Snider exited the game after scoring in the first inning with discomfort in his right hamstring ... McCutchen has six four-hit games this season ... Rodriguez threw 61 of his 89 pitches for strikes.
- HOUSTON: 2
Sep 4 11:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Snyder singled to left scoring Brett Wallace. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 2, Pirates 6 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 4 11:04 PM
- Fernando Martinez is pinch-hitting for Justin Maxwell.
Astros 1, Pirates 6 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 4 11:01 PM
- Pedro Alvarez reached first on Tyler Greene's missed catch error scoring Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones. Runner on first with two outs and Michael McKenry due up.
Astros 0, Pirates 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 4 10:14 PM
- Andrew McCutchen singled off third to short scoring Brock Holt. Runner on first with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Astros 0, Pirates 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 4 10:02 PM
- Garrett Jones singled to short scoring Jose Tabata. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Astros 0, Pirates 3 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 4 9:26 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubled to left scoring Travis Snider. Runner on second with one out and Garrett Jones due up.
Astros 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 4 8:40 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 8:21 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21