Astros hand sinking Pirates another lossSep 22, 2012 - 6:23 AM
Edgar Gonzalez started the game for Houston, but left in the second inning with a strained right hamstring. Fernando Rodriguez (2-10) tossed 3 1/3 innings of shutout ball to pick up the win.
"Fernando Rodriguez really stepped up today," Astros interim manager Tony DeFrancesco said. "He got some big outs for us, filled some innings for us. He made some pitches."
Jeff Locke (0-2) fanned eight, but surrendered three runs on three hits and three walks in five innings for the sinking Pirates, who have dropped four in a row and 12 of their last 14 contests.
The Astros jumped out to a 7-0 lead after tallying three runs in the opening frame, three more in the sixth and another in the seventh.
Brandon Barnes hit a one-out single to right field and Maxwell walked two batters later before Lowrie belted a three-run shot into the Crawford Boxes in left field.
"Out of the gate, down 3-0. It's always tough for a team to play from a hole," Locke said.
Maxwell led off the sixth with a laser into the left-field seats and after Lowrie was hit by a pitch, he scored when Wallace lined a triple down the right-field line. With the bases loaded later in the frame, Jose Altuve was hit by a pitch to force in another run.
Wallace hit a two-out solo blast in the seventh.
The Pirates finally got on the board in the eighth when Garrett Jones cracked a solo homer to right field.
Pittsburgh was 1-for-4 with runners in scoring position, while Houston finished 1-for-8 with RISP ... Maxwell's homer was his 17th of the season ... Altuve stole his 32nd base of the season.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
Sep 21 11:38 PM
- Garrett Jones solo Home Run (24) to right with two out. Hisanori Takahashi due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 7 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 21 11:04 PM
- Brett Wallace solo Home Run (8) to right with two out. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Pirates 0, Astros 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 21 10:54 PM
- Jose Altuve was hit-by-pitch Brett Wallace scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded with Brandon Barnes due up.
Pirates 0, Astros 6 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 21 10:34 PM
- Brian Bogusevic enters the game for the Astros pinch-hitting for J.D. Martinez.
Pirates 0, Astros 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 21 10:23 PM
- Justin Maxwell lead-off Home Run (17) to left with none out. Jed Lowrie due up.
Pirates 0, Astros 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 21 10:21 PM
- Jed Lowrie three-run Home Run (15) to left scored Brandon Barnes and Justin Maxwell with two out. Brett Wallace due up.
Pirates 0, Astros 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 21 8:29 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 8:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21