Pirates hammer AstrosSep 23, 2012 - 10:51 PM
Burnett (16-8) allowed one run on four hits while striking out 11 to snap a six-start winless run. Chad Qualls worked a perfect ninth to finish off a badly needed win for the Pirates, who are just 5-16 in September.
Josh Harrison went 4-for-6 with two runs scored, while Jose Tabata drove in two runs and Gaby Sanchez finished 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
Jordan Lyles (4-12) was knocked around for three runs on six hits with a walk and four strikeouts over four-plus innings for the Astros, who had their two- game winning streak snapped.
Scott Moore accounted for Houston's lone run with a home run.
After leaving runners in scoring position in the third and fourth innings, the Pirates finally broke a scoreless deadlock with four runs in the fifth.
Alex Presley began the frame with a base hit to right field, Harrison followed with a single and Andrew McCutchen walked to load the bags with no outs. Pinch-hitter Sanchez was plunked by Wesley Wright, forcing in Presley for a 1-0 Bucs lead.
Mickey Storey took over on the mound two batters later for Houston and walked pinch-hitter Tabata to force in a second run. Clint Barmes then ripped a base hit into left, scoring McCutchen.
Rod Barajas capped the inning with a single into left field, plating Sanchez for the four-run cushion.
An RBI double to left by McCutchen in the sixth made it a 5-0 game, but Moore got the run back in the bottom half when he ripped a fastball from Burnett deep over the wall in right-center field.
Sanchez clubbed a one-out double in the Pittsburgh eighth and came around to score on a single by Pedro Alvarez. Tabata smacked an RBI single up the middle and Burnett helped his own cause with an RBI base hit to right field later in the inning to finish the rout.
In 11 lifetime starts against Houston, Burnett is 4-5 ... With the loss, the Astros now have gone 108 games without winning three straight. They last accomplished the feat after winning four straight from May 21-25 ... Houston went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left four on base.
- PITTSBURGH: 8
Sep 23 5:34 PM
- A.J. Burnett singled to right scored Jose Tabata. On the play, Rod Barajas advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Alex Presley due up.
Pirates 8, Astros 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 23 4:55 PM
- Jose Tabata singled to center scored Pedro Alvarez. Runner on first with one out and Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 7, Astros 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 23 4:52 PM
- Scott Moore two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right center. Brett Wallace due up.
Pirates 5, Astros 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 23 4:28 PM
- Gaby Sanchez grounded out to first. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 5, Astros 0 Top 6, 1 OutSep 23 4:15 PM
- Rod Barajas singled to left scored Gaby Sanchez. On the play, Clint Barmes advances to second and Jose Tabata advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and A.J. Burnett due up.
Pirates 4, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 23 3:50 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jose Tabata walked Josh Harrison scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 2, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 23 3:47 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gaby Sanchez was hit-by-pitch Alex Presley scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 0 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 23 3:38 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 2:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21