Estrada pitches Brewers past AstrosSep 30, 2012 - 3:29 AM
Milwaukee's win, coupled with the St. Louis Cardinals' extra-inning loss to the Washington Nationals on Saturday has the Brewers four games off the pace for the NL's final wild card spot. Both teams have four games remaining.
Estrada (5-7) struck out 11, issued just one walk and scattered four hits to earn the victory. Livan Hernandez allowed three ninth-inning homers before Jose Veras recorded the game's final out.
Aramis Ramirez and Norichika Aoki both had three hits, two RBI and two runs scored for the Brewers, who dropped a 7-6 decision to the Astros in Friday's series opener.
Dallas Keuchel (3-8) allowed seven runs on eight hits over just 2 1/3 innings to take the loss on Saturday. The rookie left-hander walked one and struck out two.
"It's kind of disappointing to end my year on this note, but it's my own fault," said Keuchel.
Fernando Martinez and Brian Bogusevic both belted two-run homers for Houston in the ninth and Tyler Greene added a solo blast.
Hart went back-to-back with Ramirez to begin the second, which also featured a two-out, two-run bloop single by Aoki.
An inning later, Hart followed consecutive base hits by Ryan Braun and Ramirez with his 30th homer of the season, which found the seats in right field for a 7-0 lead.
"I'll probably stay in the lineup," said Hart, who has been dealing with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. "I want to win as many games as possible. I still want to be competitive."
Carlos Gomez reached with a Tobago later in the frame and Jean Segura followed with a shot into the right-center field gap off Chuckie Fick, but Brandon Barmes robbed Segura with a diving grab and doubled Gomez off second base to end the inning.
In the fourth, Aoki doubled, Braun walked with two outs, and both runners moved up on a wild pitch before Ramirez ripped an RBI infield single off the foot of Fick.
Logan Schafer plated Aoki and made it 9-0 with a sacrifice fly in the eighth.
Estrada recorded the fourth double-digit strikeout game of his career ... Hart has 14 career multi-homer games ... The Brewers have hit back-to-back home runs 10 times this season ... Milwaukee second baseman Eric Farris notched his first major league hit with an infield single in the eighth.
- HOUSTON: 5
Sep 29 10:23 PM
- Tyler Greene two-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Brandon Barnes due up.
Astros 5, Brewers 9 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 29 10:19 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brian Bogusevic two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to center scored Jason Castro. Tyler Greene due up.
Astros 4, Brewers 9 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 29 10:16 PM
- Fernando Martinez two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Scott Moore. Jason Castro due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 9 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 29 10:14 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Logan Schafer sacrifice fly to score Norichika Aoki. Runner on first with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 29 10:05 PM
- Aramis Ramirez singled to pitcher scored Norichika Aoki. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 29 8:47 PM
- Corey Hart none-out, three-run Home Run 2 (30) to right scored Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 7 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 29 8:09 PM
- Norichika Aoki singled to center scored Jonathan Lucroy and Jean Segura. Runner on first with two outs and Rickie Weeks due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 29 7:53 PM
- Corey Hart Home Run (29) to center. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 29 7:44 PM
- Aramis Ramirez lead-off Home Run (27) to center. Corey Hart due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 29 7:43 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 29 7:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21