A's beat Royals to snap 9-game skidJun 2, 2012 - 11:30 PM
Adam Rosales and Josh Reddick both drove in two runs for the Athletics, who had scored just 12 runs during their losing streak. Brandon McCarthy (4-3) gave up just two runs on eight hits with a pair of walks and two strikeouts over six innings to win his fourth straight decision.
"I had no idea that's where my pitch count was at," said McCarthy, who threw 71 pitches as he was making his first start since May 17 as he took a stint on the disabled list with a right shoulder injury. "Taking that little time off, it catches up to you a little faster than you're used to."
Jeff Francoeur had two hits and an RBI while Jarrod Dyson added three hits and a run scored for the Royals, who had won five of six coming in, including the opener of this three-game series Friday.
Luke Hochevar (3-6) gave up six runs on five hits over 4 2/3 innings and lost his third straight decision.
"We had some opportunities to score some runs that we didn't capitalize on," said Kansas City manager Ned Yost. "We made some really bad errors and the pitching wasn't there today."
Oakland worked a run across in the first as Jemile Weeks led off with a triple and scored on a Collin Cowgill ground out, but Kansas City got it back in the bottom of the inning on an RBI single by Francoeur.
The score remained that way until the fourth when Cespedes wound up on third after a double and error to Dyson and scored on a wild pitch to give Oakland a 2-1 lead.
The Athletics then plated four runs in the fifth. With runners on the corners and two outs, Reddick chased home both with a triple to right-center. Cespedes followed with an RBI single and came home himself on a double by Kila Ka'aihue off Tim Collins for a 6-1 lead.
Kansas City had runners in each of the first four innings, but was only able to push one across and was retired in order in the fifth.
The Royals scored a run in the sixth inning on an Eric Hosmer double and another in the seventh when Yuniesky Betancourt's sac fly plated Dyson to make it a 6-3 game.
The A's, though, put the game away in the eighth. With runners on second and third, Aaron Crow came on the mound and Rosales greeted him with a single that plated both runners. Rosales later scored when a Reddick reached base on an Alcides Escobar error for a 9-3 lead.
Ryan Cook worked a scoreless eighth and Jerry Blevins did the same in the ninth to nail down the win.
Royals catcher Humberto Quintero was ejected by home plate umpire Paul Schrieber for arguing balls and strikes...The Royals left eight men on base and batted 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position...Tom Milone pitches for Oakland in the rubber match on Sunday while Vin Mazzaro will toe the mound for Kansas City.
- OAKLAND: 9
KANSAS CITY: 3
Jun 2 5:20 PM
- Josh Reddick reached first and Adam Rosales scored on Alcides Escobar's fielding error with two out. On the play, Collin Cowgill advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 9, Royals 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 2 4:52 PM
- Adam Rosales single to center scored Kurt Suzuki and Cliff Pennington with two out. Runner on first and Collin Cowgill due up.
Athletics 8, Royals 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 2 4:47 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt sacrifice fly out to center scored Jarrod Dyson with two out. Runner on second and Billy Butler due up.
Athletics 6, Royals 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 2 4:30 PM
- Eric Hosmer double to left center scored Billy Butler with one out. On the play, Jeff Francoeur advances to third. Runners on second and third and Alcides Escobar due up.
Athletics 6, Royals 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 2 3:58 PM
- Kila Ka'aihue double to center scored Yoenis Cespedes with two out. Runner on second and Brandon Inge due up.
Athletics 6, Royals 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 2 3:35 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to right scored Josh Reddick with two out. Runner on first and Kila Ka`aihue due up.
Athletics 5, Royals 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 2 3:31 PM
- Josh Reddick triple to right center scored Kurt Suzuki and Jemile Weeks with two out. Runner on third and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 4, Royals 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 2 3:30 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes scored on a wild pitch with none out. None on and Kila Ka'aihue at the plate.
Athletics 2, Royals 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 2 3:05 PM
- Jeff Francoeur single to left scored Alex Gordon with two out. On the play, Mike Moustakas advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eric Hosmer due up.
Athletics 1, Royals 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 2 2:27 PM
- Collin Cowgill ground out short to first scored Jemile Weeks with one out. None on and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 1, Royals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 2 2:13 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 2:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21