Angels hammer RoyalsJul 25, 2012 - 11:33 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver won his seventh straight start, Torii Hunter went 4-for-5 with a solo homer and three RBI and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim dominated the Kansas City Royals, 11-6, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Weaver (13-1) gave up two runs on three hits over five innings for the Angels, who have won three of four. The right-hander, who struck out eight and walked two, improved to 8-0 in nine home starts this season.
Bobby Wilson and Mike Trout also homered for Los Angeles, which got an RBI apiece from Kendrys Morales, Alberto Callaspo, Mark Trumbo and Maicer Izturis.
"It was the offense that came through today," Weaver said. "It took a little of the pressure off me. It's fun to see the guys swinging the bats the way they do."
Jeff Francoeur and Billy Butler homered for the Royals, who were trying to win back-to-back games for the first time since a four-game winning streak from June 25-29.
Luke Hochevar (6-9) allowed eight runs -- six earned -- on nine hits before being ejected in the fourth inning.
"We don't play sloppy very often but we did today," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "Luke didn't have his best stuff."
The Angels scored eight of their 11 runs over the first four innings. Trout led off the bottom of the first with a double to center, moved to third on Hunter's single and crossed the plate on a wild pitch. Hunter advanced to third on Trumbo 's single and scored on Morales' groundout. Callaspo followed with an RBI double to left-center field to make it 3-0.
Los Angeles tacked on three more runs during its next at-bat. Wilson put down a sacrifice bunt after Peter Bourjos' infield single. First baseman Eric Hosmer's fielding error allowed Wilson to reach base. Trout followed with a grounder to third baseman Mike Moustakas, who stepped on third and threw wildly to first. The throwing error put men on second and third for Hunter, who hit a two-run single to left. Hunter went to second on the throw home, advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on Trumbo's groundout.
The home team made it a 7-0 game in the third after Callaspo scored on Izturis' double.
Wilson's solo homer to left-center field in the fourth extended Los Angeles' margin to eight. Hochevar was tossed from the game after home plate umpire Bob Davidson decided that the Royals pitcher intentionally hit Trout. Everett Teaford took over on the mound.
Butler's two-run homer off the left-field foul pole in the fifth cut the gap to 8-2.
Kansas City tacked on three more runs in the eighth. Scott Downs put men on first and second with two outs. Francoeur then stepped to the plate and smacked Downs' offering over the wall in left, making it 8-5.
But the Angels scored three runs in the bottom half of the frame to create some distance again. Bourjos led off with a single and scored on Trout's homer to center. Hunter made it back-to-back homers with a blast to left.
Butler's RBI single in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
The season series between the Angels and Royals is tied, 3-3...Los Angeles first baseman Albert Pujols was held out of Wednesday's game after being hit on his right elbow by a pitch Tuesday night...The Angels have decided to give Ervin Santana some more time to sort out his struggles, skipping his scheduled start on Friday. With the off-day on Thursday, the Angels will go with Dan Haren on Friday and C.J. Wilson on Saturday against the Rays.
- KANSAS CITY: 6
LOS ANGELES: 11
Jul 25 6:45 PM
- Billy Butler single to center scored Alex Gordon with two out. Runner on first and Mike Moustakas due up.
Royals 6, Angels 11 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 25 6:43 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Mark Trumbo due up.
Royals 5, Angels 11 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 25 6:23 PM
- Mike Trout one-out, two-run Home Run (16) to center scored Peter Bourjos. Torii Hunter due up.
Royals 5, Angels 10 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 25 6:22 PM
- Jeff Francoeur two-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left scored Billy Butler and Salvador Perez. Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 5, Angels 8 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 25 6:08 PM
- Mike Moustakas flied out to center to end the inning.
Royals 2, Angels 8 Mid 5Jul 25 5:18 PM
- Bobby Wilson lead-off Home Run (2) to left center. Mike Trout due up.
Royals 0, Angels 8 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 25 4:55 PM
- Maicer Izturis double to right scored Alberto Callaspo with one out. On the play, Howie Kendrick out at home, right to first to catcher. Runner on second with one out and Peter Bourjos due up.
Royals 0, Angels 7 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 25 4:40 PM
- Mark Trumbo ground out pitcher to first scored Torii Hunter with two out. None on and Kendrys Morales due up.
Royals 0, Angels 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 25 4:19 PM
- Torii Hunter single to left scored Bobby Wilson and Mike Trout with one out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Royals 0, Angels 5 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 25 4:18 PM
- Alberto Callaspo double to center scored Mark Trumbo with one out. Runner on second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Royals 0, Angels 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 25 3:55 PM
- Kendrys Morales ground out to first scored Torii Hunter with one out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Royals 0, Angels 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 25 3:54 PM
- Mike Trout scored on a wild pitch by Luke Hochevar with none out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second. Runner on second and Mark Trumbo at the plate.
Royals 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 25 3:52 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 3:38 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22