Angels rally late to top RoyalsSep 15, 2012 - 6:06 AM Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Pinch-hitter Kendrys Morales hit a game- tying homer in the eighth inning and Mike Trout scored the go-ahead run later in the frame, as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim defeated the Kansas City Royals, 9-7, on Friday in the opener of a three-game series.
Trout and Erick Aybar followed Morales' two-out, two-run blast with consecutive singles before Tim Collins (5-3) hit Albert Pujols to load the bases. Jeremy Jeffress then walked Torii Hunter on five pitches to push across the go-ahead run.
Jordan Walden (3-2) recorded the final out of the seventh to earn the win and Scott Downs stranded Jeff Francoeur at second base in the eighth before Kole Calhoun's ninth-inning RBI groundout capped the scoring.
Ernesto Frieri held Kansas City off the board in the bottom half to pick up his 19th save of the season.
Howie Kendrick had a two-run double and Alberto Callaspo singled home a pair in the fourth inning for the Angels, who are 2 1/2 games behind the New York Yankees and the Baltimore Orioles for the final AL Wild Card spot.
"We went out there and battled those guys and they are really trying to be spoilers right now," said Kendrick. "You just can't give up and we didn't."
Billy Bulter led off the second inning with his 100th career homer and Mike Moustakas added a solo shot later in the frame for the Royals, who also got a two-run blast from Francoeur in the sixth.
"He's been trying to do it for a while, so I'm glad he got it done," Kansas City manager Ned Yost said of Bulter's milestone homer.
Johnny Giavotella led off the third with a double and scored on Jason Bourgeois' single for a 3-0 Royals lead, but Kendrick and Callaspo put Anaheim on top a half-inning later.
Angels pitcher C. J. Wilson, who had won his previous three starts, allowed four runs -- three earned -- in the no-decision and was removed after issuing a leadoff walk to Alex Gordon in the sixth.
Butler then reached on an error by Kendrick and Gordon moved up on a fly out by Salvador Perez before scoring on Moustakas' sacrifice fly. Francoeur followed with a blast to left off Garrett Richards for a 6-4 lead.
Aybar answered with an RBI double in the seventh before Bourgeois singled in the bottom half, stole second and scored on Alcides Escobar's single to make it 7-5.
Wilson is 3-0 in 15 career appearances -- five starts -- versus the Royals ... Kansas City's Bruce Chen was charged with five runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings in his 200th career start ... Anaheim leads the season-series, 4-3.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
KANSAS CITY: 7
Sep 14 11:53 PM
- Mike Trout grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Kole Calhoun out at second to end the inning.
Angels 9, Royals 7 Mid 9Sep 14 11:35 PM
- Torii Hunter walked Mike Trout scored on the play. Bases loaded with two out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 8, Royals 7 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 14 11:10 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Kendrys Morales two-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left scored Mark Trumbo. Mike Trout due up.
Angels 7, Royals 7 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 14 10:55 PM
- Alcides Escobar single to left scored Jason Bourgeois. Runner on first with one out and Alex Gordon due up.
Angels 5, Royals 7 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 14 10:34 PM
- Erick Aybar double to right scored Chris Iannetta. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 5, Royals 6 Top 7, 1 OutSep 14 10:19 PM
- Jeff Francoeur two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Billy Butler. Eric Hosmer due up.
Angels 4, Royals 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 14 10:08 PM
- Mike Moustakas sacrifice fly to left scored Alex Gordon. Runner on first with two out and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Angels 4, Royals 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 14 10:05 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to right scored Howie Kendrick and Vernon Wells. Runner on first with two out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 4, Royals 3 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 14 9:16 PM
- Vernon Wells was hit-by-pitch. Runners on first and second with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 2, Royals 3 Top 4, 1 OutSep 14 9:09 PM
- Jason Bourgeois single to center scored Johnny Giavotella. Runner on first with none out and Alcides Escobar due up.
Angels 0, Royals 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 14 8:52 PM
- Jeff Francoeur grounded out second to first. None on with two out and Eric Hosmer due up.
Angels 0, Royals 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 14 8:38 PM
- Billy Butler lead-off Home Run (26) to left. Salvador Perez due up.
Angels 0, Royals 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 14 8:35 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 14 8:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22