Twins rally against Angels for first winApr 12, 2012 - 6:38 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - The Twins scored three runs in the seventh, capped by Jamey Carroll's go-ahead RBI single as Minnesota got its first win of the season with a 6-5 victory over the Angels at Target Field on Thursday.
After the Angels tacked on a run in the top half of the seventh to make it 5-3, Ryan Doumit and Danny Valencia stroked back-to-back singles to leadoff the frame and chase Jered Weaver from the game.
Hisanori Takahashi (0-1) replaced Weaver and surrendered a two-run triple to Chris Parmelee to tie the game at 5-5 before Parmelee came around to score on Carroll's single to right.
Matt Capps worked around a one-out double from Torii Hunter to record his first save of the season.
Carl Pavano was touched for five runs on seven hits in 6 2/3 innings as the starter, while reliever Jeff Gray (1-0) got the win by retiring Peter Bourjos to end the seventh. Josh Willingham belted a two-run home run and Parmelee added two hits, two RBI and a run scored for the Twins, who avoided their first 0-5 start in franchise history.
"The bullpen came up huge and we got some big hits," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "Give credit to the guys out there, they didn't quit. We kept battling and we got the win."
Albert Pujols and Chris Iannetta knocked in a run apiece, while Bourjos hit a three-run inside-the-park homer in the fifth. Weaver made the start for the Angels, allowing five runs on seven hits with seven strikeouts in six-plus innings for LA.
"I thought [Weaver] started off strong," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "I think he just had a couple pitches he couldn't quite get where he wanted them to in the middle of the game and Willingham hit that home run off him and they bunched up hits."
The Angels scored first, as Pujols ripped an RBI single into left field, plating Howie Kendrick for the game's first run in the fourth.
Minnesota answered in the bottom half when Carroll got his first hit of the season, a double to left field, and Joe Mauer followed with an RBI single to tie the game.
After Justin Morneau went down on strikes, Willingham blasted his third home run of the season into the seats in left field, giving the Twins a 3-1 edge.
The Angels answered back in the top of the fifth, as Iannetta and Vernon Wells each singled before Bourjos scorched one off the wall in left field that Willingham could not get to. The left fielder crashed into the wall and came up empty, allowing Bourjos to come around to score for the three-run inside- the-park home run.
LA tacked on another in the seventh as Hunter smoked a leadoff double to center field and Iannetta plated him three batters later with a double of his own to chase Pavano from the contest Gray induced a ground out from Bourjos to leave Iannetta stranded at second.
Minnesota finished 3-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left three men on base...The Angels left two runners on base, while going 3-for-8 with RISP...Dan Haren pitches the finale on Thursday for the Angels and will be opposed by Francisco Liriano for Minnesota.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Apr 11 11:00 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to right scored Chris Parmelee with two outs. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Angels 5, Twins 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 11 10:34 PM
- Chris Parmelee triple to right scored Ryan Doumit and Danny Valencia with none out. Runner on third and Alexi Casilla due up.
Angels 5, Twins 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 11 10:23 PM
- Chris Iannetta double to center scored Torii Hunter with two outs. Runner on second and Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 5, Twins 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 11 10:07 PM
- Alexi Casilla grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Denard Span due up.
Angels 4, Twins 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 11 9:34 PM
- Josh Willingham one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Joe Mauer. Ryan Doumit due up.
Angels 1, Twins 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 11 9:18 PM
- Joe Mauer single to left center scored Jamey Carroll with none out. Runner on first and Justin Morneau due up.
Angels 1, Twins 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 11 9:16 PM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Howie Kendrick with two outs. Albert Pujols out at second on the throw. None on and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 1, Twins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 11 9:09 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 11 8:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22