Yankees power past AngelsApr 16, 2012 - 5:38 AM
Robinson Cano scored three runs and Nick Swisher drove in a pair for New York, which was coming off Saturday's 7-1 setback.
Ivan Nova (2-0) earned the win after allowing four runs on eight hits over six innings, while his counterpart, Jerome Williams (0-1) didn't make it out of the third inning in his first start of the season.
Williams was tagged for five runs on five hits and three walks in 2 2/3 innings as the Angels fell to 3-6 on the year.
"I think we're going to get out of this funk," Angels outfielder Torii Hunter said. "Everything's going to be fine."
Mark Trumbo and Chris Iannetta each homered in defeat.
Iannetta's two-run shot in the fifth cut the deficit to 8-3 following Jeter's patented opposite-field home run. Russell Martin and Brett Gardner reached base prior to Jeter's second home run of the season.
Maicer Izturis doubled home Trumbo in the away sixth and Albert Pujols singled in Erick Aybar an inning later to pull the Angels within three.
But David Robertson relieved an ineffective Rafael Soriano in the seventh and stranded the bases loaded, and the Yankees tacked on three in their half. Swisher knocked in Cano with a base hit, then trotted home on Ibanez's homer, which nearly reached the upper deck down the right-field line.
"I had to bring in [Robertson] before I really want to," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "I felt that was a real big moment, and [Robertson] did a nice job."
Trumbo hit a solo homer off Nova in the second inning, and Ibanez got the run back in the home half with a bloop single to center. Cano scored on the play.
Curtis Granderson. Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira and Swisher each drove in a run in the third.
A pregame ceremony commemorated the 65th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier...Nova struck out eight and became the first Yankee since Whitey Ford in 1961 to win 14 consecutive decisions. His last loss came against the Angels in June of last season...The Angels haven't won a series in the Bronx since May 25-27, 2007.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
NEW YORK: 11
Apr 15 11:38 PM
- Raul Ibanez two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Nick Swisher. Russell Martin due up.
Angels 5, Yankees 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 15 11:03 PM
- Nick Swisher singled to center scored Robinson Cano. Runner on first with two outs and Raul Ibanez due up.
Angels 5, Yankees 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 15 10:57 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to left scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 5, Yankees 8 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 15 10:35 PM
- Maicer Izturis doubled to right scored Mark Trumbo. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 4, Yankees 8 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 15 10:15 PM
- Chris Iannetta none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Maicer Izturis. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 3, Yankees 8 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 15 9:48 PM
- Derek Jeter none-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right scored Russell Martin and Brett Gardner. Curtis Granderson due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 8 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 15 9:35 PM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly to left scored Robinson Cano. Runner on second with two outs and Raul Ibanez due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 15 9:10 PM
- Mark Teixeira doubled to right scored Alex Rodriguez. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 15 9:08 PM
- Robinson Cano walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 15 9:06 PM
- Curtis Granderson grounded out second to first scored Brett Gardner. On the play, Derek Jeter advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 15 9:02 PM
- Raul Ibanez singled to center scored Robinson Cano. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 15 8:47 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 15 8:29 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 15 8:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21