Morales, Weaver help Angels blank A'sApr 17, 2012 - 6:07 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales hit his first home run in nearly two years and finished 3-for-4 with four RBI, carrying the Angels to a 6-0 victory over the AL West-rival Athletics in the opener of a four-game set.
Morales' homer was his first since May 29, 2010, the day the budding slugger celebrated a game-ending grand slam by jumping on home plate and subsequently suffering a knee injury that threatened to cut his career short.
His efforts overshadowed Jered Weaver's 6 2/3 shutout innings. Weaver (2-0) allowed just five hits and one walk while striking out six for the Angels, who were coming off a 2-4 road trip.
"They have four guys that they feel could pitch at the top of the rotation, and Weaver is one of the elite pitchers," A's manager Bob Melvin said.
Brandon McCarthy (0-2) surrendered five runs on 11 hits over seven-plus innings in Oakland's third straight loss.
Howie Kendrick and Albert Pujols each singled with one away in the first inning, and Morales brought them both home by hammering an 0-2 offering that barely cleared the wall in left-center,
Weaver set down the first 11 batters he faced and stranded a runner in scoring position in the fourth, fifth and sixth frames.
Kevin Jepsen relieved Weaver with two on and two outs in the seventh and escaped unscathed, while Scott Downs worked around a two-out double in the eighth.
The Angels added to their 3-0 lead with three more in the eighth. Pujols came around on Morales' double to right, and Andrew Carignan issued three straight walks and uncorked a wild pitch to score two more.
LaTroy Hawkins struck out Jemile Weeks with the bases loaded in the ninth to finish off the shutout.
Weaver, in his seventh season, reached the 1,000-strikeout plateau with his sixth punchout...The A's have yet to produce double-digit hits in a game this year -- their longest ever stretch to start a season...Oakland went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight.
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 6
Apr 17 12:55 AM
- Andrew Carignan wild pitch scored Vernon Wells. Chris Iannetta advances to second. Maicer Izturis advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Peter Bourjos at the plate.
Athletics 0, Angels 6 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 17 12:36 AM
- Chris Iannetta walk scored Mark Trumbo on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Peter Bourjos due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 5 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 17 12:33 AM
- Kendrys Morales doubled to right scored Albert Pujols. Runner on second with none out and Torii Hunter due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 17 12:21 AM
- Kendrys Morales one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Howie Kendrick and Albert Pujols. Torii Hunter due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 3 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 16 10:20 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 16 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22