A's slip past AngelsApr 20, 2012 - 6:22 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Kurt Suzuki and Kila Ka'aihue each knocked in a run as Oakland downed the Angels, 4-2, to wrap up a four-game set at Angel Stadium.
Tommy Milone (2-1) allowed two runs on seven hits and a walk through five innings for Oakland, which won its third straight game despite recording just three hits.
Grant Balfour faced the minimum in the ninth inning to earn his fourth save of the season.
"Tonight, we were able to put the pressure on them. They made mistakes and we scored runs," said Milone.
Albert Pujols hit three doubles and scored a run for the Angels, who have lost three straight and seven of their last nine.
C.J. Wilson (2-1) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on two hits and three walks while striking out eight to suffer the loss.
Oakland struck first in the second inning when Seth Smith worked a two-out walk before rounding the bases on Suzuki's double into the left-field corner.
The Athletics then added three runs in the fourth to increase their lead. After Yeonis Cespedes and Jonny Gomes worked back-to-back walks the start the frame, Smith hit a dribbler down the third-base line when he connected on a check swing.
Wilson charged the ball, but his throw to first was short and skipped past the bag, allowing both Cespedes and Gomes to score on the throwing error. Ka'aihue singled in Smith two batters later to make it a 4-0 game.
"[Wilson] pitched well except for the two walks in the fourth. He gave us a chance to win," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "We cracked the door open for them with errors in the field."
The Angels, though, cut into the deficit in the bottom of the fourth when Pujols led off with a double, moved to third on a Torii Hunter groundout and then came home on Vernon Wells' two-bagger to left.
Mark Trumbo followed with an RBI single and later moved to third with two outs, but Peter Bourjos grounded out to short to keep the score 4-2.
The Angels threatened again in the sixth inning after Fautino De Los Santos started the frame in relief of Milone and walked Trumbo before Chris Iannetta slapped a single through the right side of the infield to place runners on the corners.
But Jordan Norberto then took the bump and induced a bouncer to third for a fielder's choice that kept Trumbo on the bag. Bourjos stepped up next and went down swinging, and Maicer Izturis followed with a groundout to short to spoil the opportunity.
The Angels also stranded a runner on second in the seventh inning, and Pujols reached first with one out in the ninth inning on Josh Donaldson's throwing error before Hunter hit into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Pujols became the first Angel to hit three doubles in a game since Chone Figgins accomplished the feat in 2009. He also extended his hit streak to nine games...Angels shortstop Erick Aybar, who committed two errors in the game, signed a four-year contract extension with the Angels earlier Thursday...The Angels went 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 11 men on base.
- OAKLAND: 4
LOS ANGELES: 2
Apr 20 1:20 AM
- Mark Trumbo singled to left scoring Vernon Wells. Runner on first with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 19 11:28 PM
- Vernon Wells doubled to left scoring Albert Pujols. Runner on second with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 1 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 19 11:25 PM
- Kila Ka'aihue singled to center scoring Seth Smith. Runner on first with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 19 11:14 PM
- Seth Smith reached second on C.J. Wilson's throwing error which scored Yoenis Cespedes and Jonny Gomes. Runner on second with none out and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 3, Angels 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 19 11:11 PM
- Kurt Suzuki doubled to left scoring Seth Smith. Runner on second with two outs and Kila Ka`aihue due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 19 10:34 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22