Angels' Williams shuts out struggling TwinsMay 2, 2012 - 5:33 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jerome Williams tossed his second career shutout on Tuesday in the Angels' 4-0 win over the Twins.
Williams (2-1) allowed just three hits and one walk, struck out six and retired 17 batters in a row before walking Denard Span with two down in the ninth. The 30-year-old then fanned Alexi Casilla to notch his first shutout since 2003.
"I just went out there and pitched. I didn't even realize what was going on until the ninth inning," said Williams.
Howie Kendrick finished a double shy of the cycle and Torii Hunter added a solo homer and an RBI single for the Angels, who have won three of four, including the first two of this three-game series.
Francisco Liriano (0-4) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings for the Twins, who fell to 6-17 on the season.
"(Liriano) wasn't that bad," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "He gave up two early homers but I was happy with the way he threw the baseball."
Span had two of Minnesota's three hits in the contest. He extended his hit streak to 12 games with a leadoff single in the first, then slapped a line drive to right with two down in the third.
But Williams picked off Span to end the inning then retired 17 straight batters before running into him again in the ninth.
"It was fun to go out there and perform," Williams continued. "I've learned how to get people out."
Hunter and Kendrick supported the effort with solo shots in the second and the Angels pushed two more across in the third to cap the scoring. Chris Iannetta and Mike Trout began the inning with a walk and a bunt single, respectively, before Alberto Callaspo advanced the runners with a sacrifice bunt. Albert Pujols followed with an RBI groundout and Hunter brought home Trout with a single to left.
Williams shut out the Oakland Athletics as a member of the San Francisco Giants on June 27, 2003. He has three career complete games...Span's 12-game hit streak marks a career high.
- MINNESOTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 4
May 2 12:18 AM
- Torii Hunter single to left scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Twins 0, Angels 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 1 10:50 PM
- Albert Pujols ground out third to first scored Chris Iannetta with two out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runner on third and Torii Hunter due up.
Twins 0, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 1 10:48 PM
- Howie Kendrick one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Vernon Wells due up.
Twins 0, Angels 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 1 10:30 PM
- Torii Hunter lead-off Home Run (4) to left center. Mark Trumbo due up.
Twins 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 1 10:27 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 1 10:06 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22