Angels top Blue Jays without slumping PujolsMay 6, 2012 - 4:25 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - The slumping Albert Pujols looked on from the dugout as his team ended a dry spell of its own.
C.J. Wilson tossed eight solid innings as the Angels downed the Blue Jays, 6-2, in the third test of a four-game set.
Wilson (4-2) fanned nine and allowed two runs on six hits and three walks.
Bobby Wilson's RBI single in the second frame ended the Angels' 23 2/3 inning scoreless drought -- Toronto's Brandon Morrow and Henderson Alvarez spun back- to-back shutouts in the first two contests of this series.
Pujols, the 12-year-veteran who signed a 10-year $240 million contract during the offseason, is hitting just .194 and is in the midst of the longest homerless drought -- 137 at-bats overall and 108 to start the year -- of his career. He was given the night off.
Pujols, 32, has just two hits over his last 27 at-bats and one run batted in over his last 18 contests.
Mike Trout smacked his first homer of the season and added two RBI and a pair of runs scored for Los Angeles, which has won four of its last six.
Kyle Drabek (2-3) gave up five runs on eight hits and five walks in five innings for Toronto, which had its four-game winning streak snapped.
- TORONTO: 2
LOS ANGELES: 6
May 6 12:02 AM
- Kendrys Morales singled to left scored Mike Trout. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Blue Jays 2, Angels 6 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 5 11:49 PM
- Adam Lind lead-off Home Run (2) to right center. Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 2, Angels 5 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 5 11:16 PM
- Alberto Callaspo grounded into a fielder's choice to the pitcher. scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to second on Jason Frasor's throwing error. Runners on first and second with one out and Torii Hunter due up.
Blue Jays 1, Angels 5 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 5 11:06 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly to center scored Vernon Wells. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Blue Jays 1, Angels 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 5 11:04 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Vernon Wells due up.
Blue Jays 1, Angels 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 5 10:51 PM
- Mike Trout one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Blue Jays 1, Angels 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 5 10:27 PM
- Jose Bautista singled to left center scored Kelly Johnson. Runner on first with one out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 1, Angels 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 5 10:01 PM
- Bobby Wilson singled to left scored Vernon Wells. Runner on first with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Blue Jays 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 5 9:40 PM
- TORONTO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 9:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22