Weaver solid as Angels drop TwinsMay 8, 2012 - 4:03 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - In his first start since tossing a no- hitter against Minnesota on May 2, Jered Weaver spun six strong innings of one-run ball to lift the Angels over the Twins, 8-3, in the opener of a three- game set at Target Field.
Weaver (5-0) allowed just three hits and walked two over six frames as he became the first pitcher since Derek Lowe in 2002 to throw a no-hitter against a team and then face them in his next outing.
"A lot of things went my way," said Weaver. "They hit the ball hard and obviously it wasn't like it was the start before but it's always tough pitching against the same team two times in row."
Albert Pujols ended his home run drought at 139 at-bats on Sunday and knocked in two runs on Monday while Alberto Callaspo added a two-run homer and finished with three RBI to help the Angels earn their third straight victory.
Francisco Liriano (0-5) is still in search of his first win in 2012 after giving up four runs on five hits and three walks over five innings. Denard Span and Joe Mauer each knocked in a run as Minnesota dropped its third straight.
Maicer Izturis led off the game with a line-drive single into left field, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored two batters later on a groundout from Pujols to give the Halos an early 1-0 lead.
After Izturis worked a one-out walk in the third, Callaspo belted his first home run of the season over the wall in left to make it a 3-0 contest.
LA loaded the bases with one out in the fourth on consecutive singles and a Chris Iannetta walk. Peter Bourjos then plated Howie Kendrick with a sacrifice fly to extend the margin to 4-0.
Minnesota finally got to Weaver in the fifth as back-to-back singles around a Trevor Plouffe walk loaded the bases. After Jamey Carroll popped out, Denard Span slapped a groundball to shortstop but Kendrick was unable to turn the double-play at second, allowing Chris Parmelee to score to cut the deficit to 4-1.
The Angels tacked on a run in the seventh on an RBI single from Pujols but the Twins rallied in the eighth as Carroll launched a leadoff double and Brian Dozier followed two batters later with a single to put runners on the corners.
Mauer stepped to the plate, ripping a single through the hole on the right side to bring the Twins within three before Ryan Doumit's sacrifice fly made it a 5-3 contest.
"That seems to be the story every day," said Carroll about his team not being able to get the big hit when they need it. "Obviously it's frustrating and not the way you want it to be, but that's the way it went down tonight."
The Halos blew the game open in the ninth as Bourjos reached on a bunt single and came around to score on Callaspo's RBI single. After Pujols popped out and Torii Hunter walked, Minnesota seemed to be out of the inning as Mark Trumbo lifted a fly ball to left field, but the ball went in and out of Erik Komatsu's glove in left, allowing Callaspo and Hunter to score to extend the lead to 8-3.
Weaver improved to 7-3 in 13 career starts against the Twins...The Angels have won five of seven against the Twins this season and swept them in a three-game set from April 30-May 2...LA left seven on base and went 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position while the Twins stranded five and finished 3-for-10 with men in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
May 7 11:11 PM
- Mark Trumbo reached first on Erik Komatsu's fielding error scored Alberto Callaspo and Torii Hunter with two out. Runner on second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 8, Twins 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 7 11:01 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to center scored Peter Bourjos with one out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 6, Twins 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 7 10:57 PM
- Ryan Doumit sacrifice fly to right scored Brian Dozier with two out. Runner on first and Danny Valencia due up.
Angels 5, Twins 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 7 10:46 PM
- Joe Mauer single to right scored Jamey Carroll with one out. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Angels 5, Twins 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 7 10:42 PM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Chris Iannetta with two out. On the play, Maicer Izturis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 5, Twins 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 7 10:12 PM
- Denard Span grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Chris Parmelee with two out. On the play, Erik Komatsu out at second Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brian Dozier due up.
Angels 4, Twins 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 7 9:45 PM
- Peter Bourjos sacrifice fly to right scored Howie Kendrick with two out. On the play, Vernon Wells advances to third. Runners on first and third and Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 4, Twins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 7 9:19 PM
- Alberto Callaspo one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Maicer Izturis. Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 3, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 7 8:51 PM
- Albert Pujols ground out short to first scored Maicer Izturis with two out. None on and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 7 8:16 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 8:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22