Angels finally give Santana run support, beat TwinsMay 10, 2012 - 5:09 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Mike Trout went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two more driven in, as the Angels finally gave Ervin Santana some run support in their 6-2 win over the Minnesota Twins.
The Angels did not score for Santana over his previous five starts and had pushed just two runs across when he's been on the mound this season.
But a 14-hit attack, including a two-hit, two-RBI effort from Albert Pujols, propelled Santana (1-6) to his first win after he allowed two runs on six hits over 7 1/3 innings.
"We haven't been getting him much support," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said about Santana. "He battled a little bit tonight with command early, but he pitched deep into the game and he did a good job pitching with the lead."
Carl Pavano (2-3) lasted just four-plus innings for the Twins, getting touched for five runs -- four earned -- on 10 hits.
"I wasn't able to [execute] consistently and they got to me," Pavano said.
Minnesota, currently in a 2-7 funk, scored in the fifth on Danny Valencia's RBI groundout and again in the sixth on Josh Willingham's solo homer.
The Angels, shut out in middle test of this three-game series, put up three runs in the third inning to take control.
Trout doubled off the left-field wall to knock in Erick Aybar, then scored on Pujols' base hit to left. A Joe Mauer throwing error plated the third run.
Run-scoring hits by Alberto Callaspo and Pujols in the fifth made it 5-0, and Trout added another RBI single an inning later off Alex Burnett.
The Angels won the season series, 6-3...Minnesota went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position, while the Angles went 7-for-14 with RISP...Santana had been 0-9 in 10 starts dating back to September 6, 2011...After the game, Valencia was optioned to Triple-A Rochester and Twins pitcher Matt Maloney was designated for assignment. To fill the roster spots, Minnesota recalled outfielder Darin Mastroianni from Rochester and selected the contract of right-hander P.J. Walters.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
May 9 10:56 PM
- Josh Willingham two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left center. Ryan Doumit due up.
Angels 6, Twins 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 9 9:54 PM
- Mike Trout single to third scored Howie Kendrick, deflected by pitcher Alex Burnett with two outs. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 6, Twins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 9 9:48 PM
- Danny Valencia grounded out short to first scored Ryan Doumit. None on with one out and Erik Komatsu due up.
Angels 5, Twins 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 9 9:29 PM
- Albert Pujols single to right scored Alberto Callaspo. On the play, Albert Pujols out at second. None on with one out and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 5, Twins 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 9 9:23 PM
- Alberto Callaspo double to center scored Mike Trout with none out. Runner on second and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 4, Twins 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 9 9:16 PM
- Torii Hunter grounded into a double play, third to second to first. On the play, Kendrys Morales out at second to end the inning.
Angels 3, Twins 0 Mid 3May 9 8:50 PM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Mike Trout with one out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 2, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 9 8:46 PM
- Mike Trout double to left center scored Erick Aybar with one out. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 1, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 9 8:44 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 9 8:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22