Trumbo helps Halos top RangersMay 12, 2012 - 10:57 PM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales broke a seventh-inning tie with a sacrifice fly, helping the visiting Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim beat the Texas Rangers, 4-2, in the middle installment of a three-game series.
Mark Trumbo belted a two-run homer with two outs in the fourth for the Angels, who snapped a five-game losing streak to their AL West rivals.
"That's the way we need to play, play with some attitude cause that's how [the Rangers] play," Trumbo said.
Los Angeles has won five of seven overall.
After rain cut short his outing last night, former Ranger C.J. Wilson did something Saturday afternoon that hadn't been done in nearly a decade: start back-to-back games.
Wilson faced only five batters before play was halted in the first inning Friday night. He was charged with four runs and the loss. On Saturday, he received a no-decision after allowing two runs on five hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings.
David Carpenter (1-1) issued a walk to load the bases but recorded the final out in the sixth to earn his first major league win.
Josh Hamilton clubbed his 18th homer of the season -- a solo blast off Wilson -- for Texas, which suffered its second loss in six games.
Matt Harrison (4-3) was tagged for four runs on four hits in six-plus innings.
The Texas left-hander walked Torii Hunter with two outs in the fourth. Trumbo followed with a drive to left field for a 2-0 Angels lead.
The Rangers tied the game with a run in the fifth and another in the sixth.
Wilson retired the first two batters in the fifth before hitting Mike Napoli with an 0-2 pitch. Back-to-back singles by Brandon Snyder and Craig Gentry plated Napoli.
Hamilton then crushed a 2-2 curveball to right field for his ninth home run in his past six games.
In the seventh, Harrison walked the leadoff batter, Trumbo, and gave up a bunt single to Howie Kendrick. Alexi Ogando relieved Harrison and Peter Bourjos greeted him with a bunt single of his own to load the bases. A pinch-hitting Morales put the Angels on top with a fly ball to left. Mike Trout lofted a sac fly after a single by John Hester reloaded the bases.
"They were playing small-ball and they executed," Harrison said.
Ernesto Frieri tossed a 1-2-3 eighth for the Halos and got the first two outs in the ninth after hitting Nelson Cruz. Scott Downs took the mound and struck out David Murphy swinging to notch his third save.
Wilson became the first pitcher to start consecutive games since Aaron Myette of the Rangers did it September 3-4, 2002...Hamilton extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Texas shortstop Elvis Andrus went 0-for-3 to snap his hitting streak at 11 games.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
May 12 4:02 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly to right scored Howie Kendrick with two outs. On the play, John Hester advances to second and Peter Bourjos advances to third. Runners on second and third and and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 12 3:17 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Kendrys Morales sacrifice fly to left scored Mark Trumbo with one out. Runners on first and second and John Hester due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 12 3:11 PM
- Kendrys Morales is pinch-hitting for Erick Aybar.
Angels 2, Rangers 2 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 12 3:11 PM
- Erick Aybar sacrifice fly to left scored Mark Trumbo with one out. Runners on first and second and and John Hester due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 12 3:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, solo Home Run (18) to right. Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 12 2:44 PM
- Craig Gentry singled to right scoring Mike Napoli with two outs. On the play, Brandon Snyder advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 12 2:27 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Torii Hunter. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 12 2:02 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 1:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22