Cruz, Rangers power past Angels 13-6May 14, 2012 - 5:41 AM
Cruz had four hits, finished a triple shy of the cycle and scored three times while Adrian Beltre drove in two runs for Texas, which handed Angels' starter Jered Weaver his first loss of the season.
Hamilton extended his hit streak to 13 games with a two-run double in the fourth inning and also drove in a run in the seventh. He now has 18 RBI over his last seven games.
"Every night someone steps up ... or a lot of us (do), which is a good thing to be able to say as a team," said Hamilton.
Neftali Feliz (3-1) allowed two runs on four hits over six innings to earn the win. He walked two and struck out five.
Mark Trumbo hit a two-run homer while Vernon Wells and Kendrys Morales added solo shots for the Angels, who fell to 15-20 on the season.
Weaver (5-1) lasted just 3 1/3 innings and gave up eight runs on 10 hits. He was attempting to become the second American League pitcher to reach six wins this season and had a 2-1 lead after Trumbo's upper-deck blast in the second inning. But the advantage proved fleeting.
"Those guys are good over there," said Weaver. "If you fall behind and let them get into hitter's counts they're going to do some damage on you. They've been doing it to a lot of people all year."
Beltre pushed the game's initial run across with a sac fly in the first inning and he tied it in the third with a two-out RBI single. Michael Young followed with a double and David Murphy walked to load the bases. Cruz then turned on a 2-0 changeup and sent a line drive over the top of the wall in left field for a 6-2 lead.
Hamilton struck out in his first two at bats but atoned with a double to right-center in the fourth, which plated Mitch Moreland and Ian Kinsler and knocked Weaver from the game.
"You have to be on your A game with these guys," said the Angels starter. "They don't give you a chance to breathe."
Cruz doubled an inning later, then scored on Mike Napoli's two-bagger off the base of the center-field wall. Elvis Andrus added an RBI single later in the frame for a 10-2 advantage.
Mark Lowe replaced Feliz to begin the seventh inning and Wells greeted him with a homer to center field. Maicer Izturis and Albert Pujols added RBI singles in the inning but the Angels left the bases loaded when Andrus snared Howie Kendrick's grounder up the middle and flipped the ball with his glove to Kinsler at second for the final out.
Along with Hamilton, both Moreland and Kinsler knocked in a run in the bottom half, courtesy of a single and a groundout, respectively.
Cruz hit the third grand slam of his career...Hamilton's hit streak is the longest by a Rangers player this season...Weaver has gone 1-7 in his last 12 starts at Texas.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
May 13 11:34 PM
- Kendrys Morales two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 6, Rangers 13 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 13 11:30 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to left scored Mitch Moreland. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 5, Rangers 13 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 13 11:00 PM
- Ian Kinsler grounded out third to first scored Mike Napoli. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Angels 5, Rangers 12 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 13 10:55 PM
- Mitch Moreland singled to center scored Nelson Cruz. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Ian Kinsler due up.
Angels 5, Rangers 11 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 13 10:52 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to left scored Mike Trout. On the play, Maicer Izturis advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 5, Rangers 10 Top 7, 1 OutMay 13 10:28 PM
- Maicer Izturis singled to right scored Bobby Wilson. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 10 Top 7, 1 OutMay 13 10:27 PM
- Vernon Wells lead-off Home Run (5) to left center. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 10 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 13 10:20 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to left center scored Mike Napoli. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 13 9:59 PM
- Mike Napoli doubled to center scored Nelson Cruz. Runner on second with one out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 9 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 13 9:53 PM
- Josh Hamilton doubled to right center scored Mitch Moreland and Ian Kinsler. Runner on second with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 8 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 13 9:30 PM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, Grand Slam (3) to left scored Adrian Beltre, Michael Young and David Murphy. Mike Napoli due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 13 9:12 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to left scored Elvis Andrus. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 13 9:05 PM
- Mark Trumbo none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Kendrys Morales. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 13 8:34 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly to left scored Ian Kinsler. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 13 8:27 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22