Aybar, Angels knock off PadresMay 19, 2012 - 5:51 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Erick Aybar had two hits and two RBI as the LA Angels of Anaheim took a 7-2 win over the San Diego Padres in the opener of a three-game interleague set.
Mike Trout went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored while Howie Kendrick and Mark Trumbo each drove in a run for the Angels, who have won three of four.
Jered Weaver (6-1), coming off his only loss of the season in Texas this past Sunday, gave up just two runs on three hits with three walks and four strikeouts over seven innings of work.
"We were able to break through there later in the game and had some good offense going tonight," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "Jered had some strong innings for us and was able to get out of jams."
Will Venable hit a solo home run and Alexi Amarista drove in the other run for the Padres, who have dropped four of six. Jeff Suppan (2-2) was touched for four runs on six hits and five walks over five innings to take the loss.
"We hung in there for a while," said San Diego manager Bud Black. "Jeff (Suppan) wasn't as sharp as he was in other starts, but he kept us in there. We just couldn't break through against Weaver."
Vernon Wells and Aybar singled to start the second and a double-play grounder from Bobby Wilson scored Wells for a 1-0 lead.
The Angels added to their advantage in the fifth. Weaver opened the frame with a single and Trout followed with a triple into the corner in left. Later in the frame, Trumbo doubled to score Trout and a Wells fielder's choice scored another for a 4-0 lead.
Venable led off the sixth with his second home run of the season and Amarista's groundout plated Jesus Guzman in the seventh to make it a 4-2 game.
The Angels, though, put the game away in the ninth as Kendrick singled home one run and Aybar followed with a bloop double to left for a 7-2 lead.
Ernesto Frieri worked around a two-out walk in the bottom of the ninth to seal the win.
The last time these teams faced each other was in 2009 when the Angels swept a three-game set at home...Weaver improved to 2-0 in two starts against San Diego in his career...Suppan fell to 5-4 in 13 starts against the Angels in his career.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
SAN DIEGO: 2
May 19 1:20 AM
- Erick Aybar double to left scored Albert Pujols and Howie Kendrick with two out. Runner on second and Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 7, Padres 2 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 19 1:12 AM
- Vernon Wells flied out to left. Runners on first and third with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 5, Padres 2 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 19 1:10 AM
- Vernon Wells double to left scored Albert Pujols and Howie Kendrick with one out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 7, Padres 2 Top 9, 1 OutMay 19 1:02 AM
- Howie Kendrick single to right scored Maicer Izturis with one out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on first and third and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 5, Padres 2 Top 9, 1 OutMay 19 12:59 AM
- Alexi Amarista grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Jesus Guzman with two out. Everth Cabrera out at second. Runner on first and Miles Mikolas due up.
Angels 4, Padres 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 19 12:30 AM
- Will Venable lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Cameron Maybin due up.
Angels 4, Padres 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 19 12:02 AM
- Vernon Wells grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Albert Pujols. Howie Kendrick out at second and Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 4, Padres 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 18 11:35 PM
- Mark Trumbo double to right scored Mike Trout with one out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on second and third and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 3, Padres 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 18 11:34 PM
- Mike Trout triple to left scored Jered Weaver with none out. Runner on third and Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 2, Padres 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 18 11:24 PM
- Bobby Wilson grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Vernon Wells, Erick Aybar out at second. None on with two outs and Jered Weaver due up.
Angels 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 18 10:34 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 10:06 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22