Padres edge AngelsMay 20, 2012 - 6:47 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Alexi Amarista hit a go-ahead RBI double in the seventh inning and the Padres defeated the Angels, 3-2, on Saturday.
Amarista went 2-for-2 and scored twice while Cameron Maybin drove in two for San Diego, which had lost two in a row, including the opener of this three- game interleague series on Friday.
Starter Eric Stults allowed two runs over 6 2/3 innings and Luke Gregerson (1-0) recorded the final out of the seventh, stranding a runner on second base to earn the win.
"My goal was to come in and give quality start," said Stults. "I know (the Padres) have had the injury bug so they needed somebody to come in and throw some innings."
Erick Aybar knocked in a run and finished a homer shy of the cycle for the Angels, who had won three of four entering Saturday.
Dan Haren (1-5) allowed three runs on six hits over 6 2/3 innings in the loss. He struck out five, walked one and has dropped four straight starts.
The Angels took a 1-0 lead in the second when Howie Kendrick walked to start the inning and Aybar followed two batters later with a triple into the gap in left-center.
Amarista led off the third inning with a single and relied on his speed to round the bases. Stults followed with a bunt and catcher John Hester went to second base with the throw, which Amarista beat with a head-first slide. Consecutive fly balls by Will Venable and Maybin allowed the second baseman to come home with the tying run.
The game was still tied after the teams traded a run in the fifth.
Aybar began the inning with a double before moving to second on a walk and to third on a Haren's sac bunt. He crossed the plate on Mike Trout's groundout.
Amarista again manufactured a run in the bottom half. He drew a leadoff walk and advanced on Stults' bunt before taking third on a wild pitch. Maybin then delivered a two-out, game-tying single up the middle.
The Angels went on top for good in the seventh when Nick Hundley singled, moved up on a sac bunt and scored on Amarista's two-bagger down the left-field line.
Dale Thayer locked up his fifth save by striking out Ryan Langerhans with Aybar on third to end the game.
"Those guys were throwing the ball well," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "You're not always gonna come back late but we had some opportunities."
Stults was claimed off waivers from the White Sox on Thursday. He started in place of Tim Stauffer, who landed on the disabled list Friday with a sprained right elbow...The Angels fell to 1-19 on the season when scoring three or fewer runs...The Padres placed outfielder Mark Kotsay on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a lower back strain. He has not played since leaving last Saturday's win over the Phillies due to tightness in his lower back. San Diego recalled outfielder Blake Tekotte from Triple-A Tucson to fill the vacated roster spot.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
SAN DIEGO: 3
May 20 12:54 AM
- Alexi Amarista doubled to left scored Nick Hundley. Runner on second with one out and Luke Gregerson due up.
Angels 2, Padres 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 20 12:08 AM
- Cameron Maybin singled to center scored Alexi Amarista. Runner on first with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Angels 2, Padres 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 19 11:31 PM
- Mike Trout grounded out short to first scored Erick Aybar. On the play, John Hester advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 2, Padres 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 19 11:20 PM
- Cameron Maybin sacrifice fly out to right scored Alexi Amarista. Runner on first with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Angels 1, Padres 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 19 10:54 PM
- Erick Aybar tripled to left center scored Howie Kendrick. Runner on third with one out and John Hester due up.
Angels 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 19 10:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22