Milone leads Athletics past AngelsMay 22, 2012 - 6:25 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Tommy Milone tossed seven innings of one-run ball and the Oakland Athletics slipped past the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, 2-1, in the first test of a three-game series on Monday.
Milone (6-3) scattered five hits and walked only one while striking out three, lowering his earned run average at home to a minuscule 0.60. Ryan Cook worked a scoreless eighth and Brian Fuentes put in a 1-2-3 ninth to nail down his fourth save of the season.
Kila Ka'aihue had an RBI single and Seth Smith scored the other run on a double-play groundout by Kurt Suzuki for the A's, who have won two consecutive contests.
"It's easy when our pitching staff keeps us in the game like that, especially when we have a bullpen like we do. When we get ahead we feel real confident and when we're tied we still feel like we have a really good chance," Ka'aihue said.
Mike Trout drove in the only run of the game with an RBI double for the Angels, losers in three straight games.
Jerome Williams (4-2) allowed two runs on five hits and five walks over 6 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"Even though his ball-strike ratio wasn't good, he was pitching into the seventh inning just giving up two runs. He definitely gave us a chance to win," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said about Williams.
Oakland struck first with a run in the second inning. Smith started the frame with a single, Josh Donaldson followed with a double and Daric Barton walked to load the bases. Suzuki grounded into a double play, which allowed Smith to cross the plate for the first run of the game.
The A's extended their lead to 2-0 with a run in the third. Jemile Weeks was plunked to start things and Josh Reddick slapped a single following a Coco Crisp groundout to put two men on with one out. Ka'aihue then came up with a clutch hit for his team, lacing a single into left to score Crisp.
Los Angeles got a run back in the fifth when Howie Kendrick ripped a single to start the frame and came around to score on a double into right by Trout to make it a 2-1 game.
The Angels, however, would not score again and Fuentes got Mark Trumbo, Kendrys Morales and Kendrick to groundout in the ninth to secure the win.
Prior to Monday's game, the Athletics reinstated Crisp from the 15-day disabled list and optioned infielder Eric Sogard to Triple-A Sacramento. He went on the disabled list May 4 with an inner ear infection....Also on Monday, the Angels announced that outfielder Vernon Wells will undergo surgery on Tuesday to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right thumb...The A's have won 11 of their last 15 games against Los Angeles at home.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
May 22 12:55 AM
- Mike Trout double to right scored Howie Kendrick. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 21 11:44 PM
- Kila Ka'aihue single to left scored Coco Crisp. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Seth Smith due up.
Angels 0, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 21 11:01 PM
- Kurt Suzuki grounded into a double play, short to second to first scoring Seth Smith. On the play, Daric Barton out at second Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Cliff Pennington due up.
Angels 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 21 10:37 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22