Angels down YankeesMay 30, 2012 - 5:35 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Albert Pujols and Mark Trumbo each homered and Dan Haren tossed seven-plus effective frames as the Angels ran their winning streak to eight games with a 5-1 victory over the New York Yankees.
Haren (3-5), fresh off a 14-strikeout blanking of the Mariners in his previous outing, gave up one run on eight hits and did not walk a batter while fanning seven in the second test of this three-game series.
"Dan pounded the zone. He kept control of everything, and the defense behind him picked him up," Angels head coach Mike Scioscia said.
The Angels moved over .500 (26-25) for the first time since they were 1-0, though the accomplishment was somewhat quelled by the news that ace Jered Weaver was placed on the disabled list due to a back injury.
Andy Pettitte (2-2) surrendered five runs on nine hits over seven-plus innings in his 400th career start as a Yankee.
"I know I can do a better job of pitching," Pettitte said. "[Haren] pitched well and they played great defense."
Nick Swisher knocked in New York's only run in the fourth inning, but the Angels had pushed three across in the previous frame to take control.
Mike Trout made a leaping grab at the wall in left-center to rob Swisher of a potential home run in the second, and an inning later tripled into the left- field corner to knock in Peter Bourjos.
Later in the frame, Pujols hammered his eighth home run of the season deep to left for a 3-1 lead, but not as deep as the solo shot Trumbo hit in the sixth, which went an estimated 443 feet into the rocks beyond the center field fall.
Pujols ended Pettitte's outing a leadoff single in the eighth and later scored on Howie Kendrick's one-out single.
This is the Angels' longest win streak since an eight-game stretch from July 18-25, 2009...The Angels reinstated Torii Hunter from the restricted list prior to the game, and the right fielder went 1-for-4...This was Pettitte's first regular season road start tonight since October 2, 2010 at Boston...Alex Rodriguez had three hits for the Yankees, who stranded 12...Ervin Santana will try to pitch the Reds to a series sweep on Wednesday. Ivan Nova is scheduled to be on the mound for New York.
- NEW YORK: 1
LOS ANGELES: 5
May 30 12:44 AM
- Howie Kendrick single to right scored Albert Pujols with one out. Runner on first and Torii Hunter due up.
Yankees 1, Angels 5 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 30 12:24 AM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Howie Kendrick due up.
Yankees 1, Angels 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 29 11:40 PM
- Nick Swisher single o right scored Raul Ibanez with one out. Runner on first and Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 1, Angels 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 29 11:07 PM
- Albert Pujols two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Maicer Izturis. Mark Trumbo due up.
Yankees 0, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 29 10:57 PM
- Mike Trout triple to left scored Peter Bourjos with one out. Runner on third and Maicer Izturis due up.
Yankees 0, Angels 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 29 10:56 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21