Yankees end Angels' win streak at 8May 31, 2012 - 6:05 AM Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim with a 6-5 win on Wednesday.
Granderson hit a three-run blast and Cano launched a two-run shot for the Yankees, who have won six of their last eight games.
Ivan Nova (6-2) improved to 10-0 in his last 13 road starts despite giving up five runs on eight hits and three walks in 6 2/3 innings.
"I battled and we found a way to win. I'm better than what I showed tonight," Nova said.
Mark Trumbo homered in a career-high fourth straight game and finished with three RBI for Los Angeles, which had its winning streak snapped at eight games.
"My ultimate goal is to hit the ball hard and help the team win," Trumbo said.
Angels starter Ervin Santana earned a no-decision after allowing five runs on six hits over five frames.
Los Angeles rallied from a 5-1 deficit with a four-run fourth, but the Yankees retook the lead in the sixth. Raul Ibanez stroked a one-out triple off Hisanori Takahashi (0-2) and scored the go-ahead run on Nick Swisher's sacrifice fly.
New York reliever Cory Wade struck out Howie Kendrick to escape a first-and- third jam in the seventh.
The Angels threatened again in the ninth, as Alberto Callaspo drew a one-out walk and Albert Pujols reached on an infield single. Callaspo was erased at third on a fielder's choice, and Rafael Soriano nailed down his sixth save of the season by retiring Trumbo on a fly ball to left field.
Nova's outing got off to an uneasy start. The right-hander loaded the bases with nobody out in the first, but limited the damage to a Trumbo sac fly.
The Yankees scored five runs in the third before an out had been recorded. Russell Martin led off with a walk, Derek Jeter singled and Granderson plated both men with his 16th home run of the year, a drive to right-center.
Santana then hit Alex Rodriguez with a pitch and Cano followed with a home run to right.
The Angels fought back in the fourth when Kendrys Morales worked a leadoff walk and scored on Trumbo's right-field blast. Then, with two outs and two men on base, Mike Trout slapped a game-tying double to the gap in right-center.
Granderson and Ibanez both had two hits...Trumbo went 3-for-4...The Angels were 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine.
- NEW YORK: 6
LOS ANGELES: 5
May 31 1:14 AM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly to left scored Raul Ibanez with two outs. None on and Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 6, Angels 5 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 30 11:58 PM
- Mike Trout double to right center scored Erick Aybar and Bobby Wilson with two outs. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Yankees 5, Angels 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 30 11:31 PM
- Mark Trumbo none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Kendrys Morales. Howie Kendrick due up.
Yankees 5, Angels 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 30 11:24 PM
- Robinson Cano none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Alex Rodriguez. Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 5, Angels 1 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 30 11:02 PM
- Curtis Granderson none-out, three-run Home Run (16) to right center scored Russell Martin and Derek Jeter. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 3, Angels 1 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 30 10:57 PM
- Mark Trumbo sacrifice fly to right scored Mike Trout. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second and Alberto Callaspo advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Yankees 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 30 10:28 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21