Trout lifts Angels over RangersJun 2, 2012 - 5:59 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout hit a go-ahead two-run single in the seventh inning on Friday and the Angels defeated the Rangers, 4-2, in the opener of a three-game series.
Trout finished with three RBI, adding a run-scoring triple in the sixth. He scored the tying run later in that frame when Albert Pujols lifted a sacrifice fly to right.
"I'm just staying positive and I had a feeling I was going to come through," said Trout.
Jerome Williams (6-2) went seven innings and gave up two runs on seven hits to earn the win. He walked two and struck out four. Ernesto Frieri picked up his third save of the season for the Angels, who had won a season-high eight straight games before Wednesday's loss to the Yankees.
The Rangers were coming off of a 21-8 loss to the Mariners. They jumped out to a 2-0 lead on Friday, getting RBI singles from Adrian Beltre and Mike Napoli, but couldn't avoid their third straight setback.
Colby Lewis (4-4) was charged with all four runs -- two earned -- over 6 2/3 innings, but Alexi Ogando gave up Trout's bases-loaded, go-ahead single.
Beltre's RBI came in the first inning, when he hit a line drive to left field on the heels of Josh Hamilton's double. In the fourth Napoli drove home Michael Young, who led off with a single and moved to third on David Murphy's base hit.
The Angels' recorded their first extra-base hit of the game in the sixth inning, when John Hester began the frame with a ground-rule double to left. Trout followed with a triple off the right-field wall, then crossed the plate on Pujols' sac fly, making it 2-2.
Lewis retired the first two batters he faced in the seventh but was relieved after he allowed a single to Howie Kendrick, then hit Erick Aybar with a pitch. Ogando induced pinch-hitter Maicer Izturis into a soft grounder towards second, but Ian Kinsler bobbled the ball and the bases were loaded.
Trout then flared a soft liner into shallow center, pushing across the deciding runs.
"Ian is one of the surest hands in the game, he just didn't pick it up," said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "The next hitter comes up and there's the game."
Williams improved to 8-0 in eight career starts in Anaheim...The Angels had lost six of their previous seven games to the Rangers...Lewis has received three runs of support or fewer in nine of his 11 starts.
- TEXAS: 2
LOS ANGELES: 4
Jun 2 12:45 AM
- Mike Trout single to center scored Howie Kendrick and Erick Aybar with two out. On the play, Maicer Izturis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 2 12:19 AM
- Albert Pujols sacrifice fly to right scored Mike Trout with two out. None on and Kendrys Morales due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 1 11:49 PM
- Mike Trout triple to right scored John Hester with none out. Runner on third and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 1 11:46 PM
- Mike Napoli single to left scored Michael Young with one out. On the play, David Murphy advances to third. Runners on first and third wand Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 1 11:13 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored Josh Hamilton with two out. Runner on first and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 1 10:19 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 10:13 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22