Rangers collect 14 hits to avoid sweep against AngelsJun 4, 2012 - 1:01 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Elvis Andrus collected three hits and knocked in two runs while Nelson Cruz added a two-run home run as the Rangers downed the Angels, 7-3, in the finale of a three-game series on Sunday.
Ian Kinsler, Michael Young and Mike Napoli each added two hits and an RBI for Texas, which snapped a four-game slide.
Matt Harrison (7-3) allowed three runs on four hits and three walks over 6 2/3 innings to earn the win.
Dan Haren (3-6) gave up two runs on seven hits and two walks in five full frames to suffer the loss.
"Dan had a hard five innings and kept us in the game," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said about Haren. "We'll turn the page on this one."
John Hester hit a solo homer for the Angels, who lost for the second time in four games.
Texas struck first in the third inning when Napoli started the frame with a single, moved to second on a Mitch Moreland base hit and came home on Andrus' one-out double just over the glove of Mark Trumbo in right field.
That would be all the Rangers would get, though, as Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre both went down swinging to end the inning.
Young's RBI single in the fifth gave Texas a two-run lead, but the Angels would answer in the bottom of the inning after Trumbo worked a leadoff walk for his team's first baserunner of the game.
Harrison would retire the next two batters before Erick Aybar broke up the no- hitter by pulling a double into the left-field corner to score Trumbo.
David Murphy started the sixth with a ground-rule double, advanced to third on a Moreland sacrifice bunt and came home on Kinsler's groundout to short to give the Rangers a 3-1 lead.
Texas would later leave the bases loaded before Hester brought the Angels back within a run in the home sixth with a leadoff blast over the left-center field wall.
Trumbo then followed Albert Pujols' two-out walk with a double to place the go-ahead runs in scoring position, but Torii Hunter flied out to right to end the inning and Texas would regain some cushion in the seventh on Cruz's two- run blast to left-center field, giving the Rangers a 5-2 edge.
The Angels would not go away, though, as Alexi Ogando took the mound for Texas with two outs and runners on first and second in the bottom of the seventh and Trout greeted the reliever with an RBI single up the middle.
Ogando then walked Alberto Callaspo to load the bases for Pujols, who lifted a fly ball to left field to end the inning and keep it a 5-3 game.
Texas got that run back, plus another, in the ninth on a pair of run-scoring singles by Napoli and Andrus before Joe Nathan worked a scoreless bottom of the ninth to close out the win.
"We played strong today and drove in runs when we needed to. It's important to win games against your rivals," said Cruz.
Harrison has won his last three starts...Haren had a personal two-game win streak snapped...Hester's home run was his first RBI of the season...The Angels went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left eight man on base...Texas hit 4-for-16 with runners in scoring position and stranded 14...The Rangers outhit the Angels, 14-6.
- TEXAS: 7
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jun 3 6:47 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to left scored Mike Napoli with two out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 7, Angels 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 3 6:37 PM
- Mike Napoli single to left scored pinch-runner Craig Gentry with one out. Runner on first and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 6, Angels 3 Top 9, 1 OutJun 3 6:31 PM
- Mike Trout single to center scored Peter Bourjos with two out. On the play, John Hester advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 3 5:55 PM
- Nelson Cruz none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Michael Young. David Murphy due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 2 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 3 5:33 PM
- John Hester lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Mike Trout due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 3 5:22 PM
- Ian Kinsler ground out short to first scored David Murphy with two out. Runner on second and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 3 5:13 PM
- Erick Aybar double to left scored Mark Trumbo with two out. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third on the throw. Runner on third and Peter Bourjos due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 3 5:01 PM
- Michael Young infield single to second, deflected by first scored Ian Kinsler with two out. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to third. Runners on first and third and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 3 4:49 PM
- Elvis Andrus double to center scored Mike Napoli with one out. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 3 4:13 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 3 3:38 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22