Richards, Trumbo lift Angels over MarinersJun 6, 2012 - 5:20 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Garrett Richards fired seven innings of one-run ball and earned his first career victory Tuesday as the Angels downed the Mariners, 6-1, in the second test of a three-game series at Angel Stadium.
Richards (1-0) was making his first start of the season -- and just the fourth of his career -- after being recalled from Triple-A Salt Lake on May 29 when Jered Weaver landed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained lower back.
"The command was there tonight, especially my two-seam (fastball)," remarked Richards. "It's good to get the first win out of the way. Tonight I trusted my stuff and went after guys."
The 24-year-old righty allowed four hits and two walks while striking out a career-high eight. Mark Trumbo homered twice and knocked in four runs while Torii Hunter added a solo blast for the Angels, who swept the Mariners in a four-game set from May 24-27.
Blake Beavan (3-5) was charged for all six runs on 10 hits over five frames. Michael Saunders clubbed three of Seattle's five hits and belted a home run as the Mariners fell for the second time in three tries.
"He has turned the corner this year," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge about Saunders. "He has put himself in a good position to hit."
The Angels grabbed a 2-0 lead in the second as Trumbo and Hunter launched back-to-back solo shots, but Saunders cut the margin in half with a solo blast of his own to leadoff the top of the third.
LA plated a pair of two-out runs in the third as Maicer Izturis singled, swiped second and came around to score on a single from Albert Pujols.
Kendrys Morales pushed Pujols to third with a single to center before Trumbo's single to right scored Morales and gave the Halos a 4-1 lead.
Pujols clubbed a one-out double in the fifth and Trumbo followed two batters later with his second homer of the game to dead center field to provide the Angels with a 6-1 advantage.
After Richards was lifted to start the eighth, Jason Isringhausen and Jordan Walden each fired a scoreless inning to nail down the victory.
The Mariners have homered in seven straight games for the first time since Aug. 16-27, 2009 when they homered in 11 straight...It was Trumbo's first multi-homer game of his career.
- SEATTLE: 1
LOS ANGELES: 6
Jun 6 12:37 AM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (12) to center scored Albert Pujols. Torii Hunter due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 5 11:33 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to right scored Albert Pujols. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 5 10:56 PM
- Albert Pujols single to right scored Maicer Izturis. Runner on first with two outs and Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 5 10:51 PM
- Brendan Ryan struck out swinging. None on with one out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 5 10:39 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 5 10:30 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Jun 5 10:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21