Seager lifts M's over AngelsJun 7, 2012 - 5:54 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Kyle Seager stroked a pair of two-run singles, including a go-ahead base hit in the sixth to lead the Mariners to an 8-6 victory over the Angels in the finale of a three-game set at Angel Stadium.
Michael Saunders finished with three hits and scored twice, Mike Carp knocked in two runs and Ichiro Suzuki smacked a solo shot and added two RBI and three runs scored for Seattle, which wrapped up a nine-game road trip at 5-4.
"This was a good roadtrip for us," said Seager. "We're playing with a lot of confidence right now. Any time you're winning, you're going to have a lot more fun."
Shawn Kelley (1-2) got the win after entering in the fifth in relief of starter Hector Noesi, who allowed six runs on four hits and five walks in four-plus innings. Tom Wilhelmsen worked a scoreless ninth to notch his second save of the year.
Jerome Williams (6-3) surrendered seven runs -- five earned -- on nine hits over 5 2/3 frames to take the loss. Kendrys Morales homered and knocked in three runs, but the Angels lost for the third time in their last four games.
"We have to keep setting the table," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "There was more we could do offensively, but this wasn't an offensive let down. We had leads and couldn't hold it."
The Mariners trailed 6-4 after five, but Saunders smacked a leadoff single in the sixth before Carp was plunked two batters later. After a Brendan Ryan flyout, Suzuki singled to score Saunders and chase Williams from the game.
Bobby Cassevah entered and walked Dustin Ackley before serving up Seager's second two-run single of the night, which gave the Mariners the lead for good.
Seattle added some insurance in the eighth as Suzuki launched a two-out blast over the wall in right before Wilhelmsen closed the door in the ninth.
Earlier in the game, the Mariners plated a pair of runs in the second on Carp's two-run double down the left-field line, but the Halos responded in the bottom half when Erick Aybar ripped an RBI double over Saunders' head in center and Hank Conger followed with a sac fly to knot the game at 2-2.
After Maicer Izturis worked a one-out walk in the third, Morales followed two batters later with a blast into the right-field seats to give LA a 4-2 lead.
Seattle pulled even on Seager's two-out, two-run double in the fifth, but the Angels quickly restored a two-run lead in the bottom half.
Mike Trout and Izturis coaxed consecutive walks to start the frame. After Albert Pujols popped out, Morales singled to score Trout before Howie Kendrick plated Izturis two batters later to give the Halos a 6-4 edge.
After an off day Thursday, the Mariners return home Friday to begin a three- game set against the Los Angeles Dodgers...The Mariners have homered in eight consecutive games...The loss was Williams' first at Angel Stadium in eight starts...LA finished its nine-game homestand at 5-4.
- SEATTLE: 8
LOS ANGELES: 6
Jun 7 1:22 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 8, Angels 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 7 12:50 AM
- Kyle Seager single to center scored Mike Carp and Ichiro Suzuki with two outs. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 7, Angels 6 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 7 12:11 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to left scored Michael Saunders with two outs. On the play, Mike Carp advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 5, Angels 6 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 7 12:04 AM
- Howie Kendrick singled to right scored Maicer Izturis with two outs. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second and Erick Aybar due up.
Mariners 4, Angels 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 6 11:54 PM
- Kendrys Morales single to left scored Mike Trout with one out. On the play, Maicer Izturis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Mariners 4, Angels 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 6 11:49 PM
- Kyle Seager double to right scored Ichiro Suzuki and Dustin Ackley with two outs. Runner on second and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 4, Angels 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 6 11:31 PM
- Kendrys Morales two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right center scored Maicer Izturis. Mark Trumbo due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 6 10:58 PM
- Hank Conger sacrifice fly to left scored Mark Trumbo with two outs. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third on Mike Carp's throwing error. Runner on third and Peter Bourjos due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 6 10:41 PM
- Erick Aybar double to center scored Kendrys Morales with one out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on second and third and Hank Conger due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 6 10:39 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to right. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 0 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 6 10:37 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 6 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21