Rivera lifts Dodgers over AngelsJun 13, 2012 - 5:56 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - On Tuesday, the Dodgers honored former catcher and current Angels manager Mike Scioscia with his own bobblehead night, but it was an ex-Halo who helped snap the visitor's 10-game road winning streak.
Juan Rivera belted a go-ahead three-run homer as part of a four-run bottom of the eighth inning as the Dodgers downed the Angels, 5-2, in the middle installment of the three-game Freeway Series.
In the eighth, Andre Ethier, fresh off inking a five-year contract extension to remain in Los Angeles until 2017 earlier in the day, cashed in with a game- tying RBI single -- the 500th RBI of his career -- before Rivera jumped all over a letter-high fastball and deposited it into the seats in left for a 5-2 Dodgers lead.
"I went up there to be aggressive," Rivera said of the go-ahead homer. "He threw me a sinker before and I was looking for it. I tried to hit it hard and was happy because I knew I hit it good."
Jamey Wright (3-2) tossed a scoreless eighth to pick up the win while Kenley Jansen fanned two in a 1-2-3 ninth for his 10th save of the year.
Jerome Williams (6-4) surrendered five runs on six hits and three walks while fanning seven in 7 2/3 innings.
Albert Pujols registered a pair of hits, extending his multi-game hitting streak to seven games.
"We worked hard but didn't get it done. Give those guys credit, we weren't able to get situations to fall in our favor," Scioscia said.
Earlier, aided by a Dodgers miscue, the Angels struck first with a run in the third. Williams ripped a double into the gap in left-center and after Mike Trout lined out, Torii Hunter walked and Pujols singled to load the bases.
Williams scampered home when Kendrys Morales' grounder to second was booted by Adam Kennedy.
The Dodgers got the run back in the fourth. A.J. Ellis and Ethier led off the frame with a pair of singles to put runners on the corners and Rivera ripped a single to left, plating Ellis to tie the contest, 1-1.
Again, helped by a Dodgers mistake, the Angels retook the edge in the sixth. Morales walked and Mark Trumbo singled to begin the frame before Maicer Izturis and Erick Aybar were retired.
Hank Conger reached with an infield single to load the bags for Williams, who rolled a grounder to second. Kennedy gobbled it up and threw to second for the force, but Dee Gordon dropped the ball, allowing Morales to come home, giving the visitors a 2-1 advantage.
Scioscia is the Dodgers' all-time leader with 1,394 games played at catcher. The two-time World Series winner played 13 seasons with the club...This is the Dodgers' fourth win against the Angels in their last 14 tries...The Angels had their four-game winning streak snapped...The Dodgers have won seven of their last nine contests...The Angels were 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base while the Dodgers were 3-for-9 with RISP and stranded three...Gordon stole three bases, giving him 20 on the season.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
LOS ANGELES: 5
Jun 13 1:01 AM
- Juan Rivera two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left center scored A.J. Ellis and Andre Ethier. Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 13 12:46 AM
- Andre Ethier singled to right scored Dee Gordon. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Juan Rivera due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 13 12:45 AM
- Jerome Williams reached first on Dee Gordon's fielding error scored Kendrys Morales. On the play, Hank Conger advances to second and Mark Trumbo advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 12 11:46 PM
- Bobby Abreu flied out to center. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and Adam Kennedy due up.
Angels 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 12 11:14 PM
- Mark Trumbo flied out to right to end the inning.
Angels 1, Dodgers 0 Mid 3Jun 12 10:54 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 10:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22