Capuano, Dodgers down AngelsJun 24, 2012 - 2:48 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Capuano was again stingy on the mound and Dee Gordon served as the offensive catalyst, as the Dodgers edged the Angels, 3-1, in the second meeting of their three-game Freeway Series.
Capuano (9-2) lowered his ERA to 2.60 by limiting the Angels to one run on seven hits in seven innings of work.
"Chris was really good. He's been like this almost every time out," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
Gordon, whose batting average was .220 coming in, went 2-for-4 with a triple, a stolen base and two runs scored to help snap the Dodgers' four-game slide.
Ervin Santana (4-8), coming off a one-hit shutout of the Diamondbacks last Saturday, struck out 10 over eight innings but allowed three runs -- two earned -- on four hits to take the loss.
The Angels, seeking their fourth straight win, had their leadoff hitter reach base six times, but went just 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
The Dodgers scored twice in the first inning, their only hit coming on Gordon's leadoff single. The speedster swiped second and scored when Albert Pujols fielded a Jerry Hairston Jr. ground ball and threw it away trying to nab Gordon at third.
Hairston wound up on second, took third on a wild pitch and crossed the plate as a result of Maicer Izturis' throwing error.
Howie Kendrick doubled leading off the home fifth and eventually scored the Angels' only run on an Erick Aybar infield single.
The Angels stranded runners on the corners, and the Dodgers got the run back in their next at-bat. Gordon started the inning with a triple and scored on Hairston's infield hit.
"When you hit your spots, and they hit it, you just have to tip your cap." reasoned Santana.
Ronald Belisario relieved Capuano in the eighth, and as was the case in the previous five innings, the Angels' leadoff got on base. Mike Trout opened with a single and stole second, but Belisario struck out Torii Hunter and got Pujols and Mark Trumbo on a pair of groundouts to end the threat.
Kenley Jansen set down the side in order in the ninth to secure his 12th save.
Sunday's rubber match features the Dodgers' Aaron Harang squaring off against fellow righty Garrett Richards...Gordon's triple was the Dodgers' only extra- base hit...This was the Dodgers' fifth win against the Angels in the last 17 meetings...Santana has nine double-digit strikeout outings.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
LOS ANGELES: 1
Jun 23 10:00 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. infield single to third scored Dee Gordon with none out. Runner on first and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Angels 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 23 8:54 PM
- Erick Aybar infield single to short scored Howie Kendrick with one out. Runner on first and John Hester due up.
Dodgers 2, Angels 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 23 8:45 PM
- James Loney struck out swinging to end the inning.
Dodgers 2, Angels 0 Mid 1Jun 23 7:30 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. reached second on Albert Pujols's throwing error scoring Dee Gordon with none out. Runner on second and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 23 7:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 7:17 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22