Bourjos' blast helps Halos top DodgersJun 25, 2012 - 12:08 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Peter Bourjos hit a two-run home run to help the LA Angels of Anaheim take a 5-3 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the rubber match on Sunday.
Garrett Richards gave up three runs on nine hits with two walks and five strikeouts through 6 2/3 innings in the start for the Angels, who have won four of five. Scott Downs (1-0) got the win for tossing one inning of scoreless ball.
"When guys get on base I don't feel any pressure," said Richards. "I've worked on my composure and making quality pitches. My job as a starter is to give us a chance to win."
Dee Gordon had two hits and drove in a run for the Dodgers, who have lost five of their last six games. Aaron Harang gave up three runs on eight hits over six innings in the start and Josh Lindblom (2-2) was charged with the loss after giving up two runs in the seventh.
"I thought our bats were solid all series," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "We have to give ourselves a few more chances to get them in. The Angels are tough, aggressive and a good club."
The Dodgers got on the board in the first inning when Andre Ethier doubled with two outs and came home as Bobby Abreu followed with a single for a 1-0 lead.
It was 2-0 in the second thanks to Gordon's groundout that scored Adam Kennedy, but the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the frame as Erick Aybar worked a one-out walk and Bourjos followed with his second homer of the season.
The score stayed the way until the fifth when the Angels took the lead. Mike Trout led off with a single and later stole second. Albert Pujols then punched a single to center for a 3-2 lead.
The Dodgers again tied the game in the sixth as Juan Rivera doubled, moved to third on a James Loney groundout and came home thanks to Kennedy's sacrifice fly.
In the seventh, the Angels went ahead for good. With two outs, Pujols walked and Kendrys Morales was hit by a pitch. Mark Trumbo then singled home Pujols and Howie Kendrick scored Morales with a base hit for a 5-3 lead.
Downs got the first two outs of the eighth before Ivan De Jesus walked. Ernesto Frieri then took the mound and De Jesus was caught stealing to end the frame.
Jerry Hairston Jr. led off the ninth with a single, but Frieri set the next three batters down in order for his ninth save of the season.
Pujols' walk in the seventh inning was his 1,000th free pass of his career...The Angels won four of the six games against the Dodgers this season...The Angels start a two-game set in Baltimore on Tuesday...The Dodgers begin a three-game series in San Francisco in Monday.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
LOS ANGELES: 5
Jun 24 7:19 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored Kendrys Morales with two outs. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Erick Aybar due up.
Dodgers 3, Angels 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 24 6:31 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to center scored Albert Pujols with two outs. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Dodgers 3, Angels 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 24 6:28 PM
- Adam Kennedy sacrifice fly to center scored Juan Rivera with two outs. None on and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 3, Angels 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 24 5:45 PM
- Albert Pujols single to center scored Mike Trout with one out. Runner on first and Kendrys Morales due up.
Dodgers 2, Angels 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 24 5:33 PM
- Peter Bourjos one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Erick Aybar. Bobby Wilson due up.
Dodgers 2, Angels 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 24 4:28 PM
- Dee Gordon ground out second to first scored Adam Kennedy with two outs. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to third. Runner on third and Elian Herrera due up.
Dodgers 2, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 24 4:23 PM
- James Loney flied out to center to end the inning.
Dodgers 1, Angels 0 Mid 1Jun 24 3:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 24 3:38 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22