Weaver continues home dominance of RangersJul 21, 2012 - 5:27 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Avenging his only loss this season, a defeat at the hands of the Rangers back in May, Jered Weaver's career mark against Texas in Anaheim remained unblemished Friday.
The 29-year-old tossed seven innings of one-run ball and won his sixth consecutive start, a 6-1 Angels triumph over the Rangers in the opener of a three-game set.
Weaver (12-1) scattered six hits and surrendered a walk, helping him move to 8-0 with a 2.16 ERA in 14 career starts against Texas in the Big A. The lanky right-hander moved 7-0 with a minuscule .067 ERA at home this season.
He lasted just 3 1/3 innings and gave up eight runs on 10 hits in a 13-6 loss to Texas on May 13.
"It was a battle going up against a lineup like that," Weaver said. "I got myself into jams and the defense helped me out."
Mark Trumbo smacked a solo homer for the Halos -- his eighth of the month --, who had lost five of their last seven contests coming in. For Trumbo, it's his 21st round-tripper and 47th RBI since May 25, which leads the majors.
Mike Trout added a solo shot, his seventh in July, and two runs scored. He's tallied a run in 12 straight games, one shy of tying Jim Edmonds' club record.
Derek Holland (6-5) was charged with six runs on nine hits and a walk in 6 2/3 innings for Texas, which fell to 3-3 on its eight-game road trip.
"Other than the fourth inning, Derek hung in there until the seventh. We had opportunities but we didn't deliver," Texas manager Ron Washington said.
With the game tied 1-1 after three innings of play, the Angels plated three runs in the fourth, another in the sixth and one more in the seventh to surge ahead.
Albert Pujols, who tallied three hits, led off the fourth with a double, advanced to third on Trumbo's base hit and scored on Howie Kendrick's groundout to shortstop. After Alberto Callaspo singled, Erick Aybar laced a double down the line in left to bring home Kendrick and Callaspo for a 4-1 advantage.
Trumbo pounded a homer over the wall in left-center to conclude an 11-pitch at-bat in the sixth, while Trout smacked a two-out opposite-field blast to right in the seventh.
Earlier, the teams exchanged runs in the opening frame as Elvis Andrus stroked a homer over the wall in left-center before Kendrick's RBI double in the home half tied the game. Pujols was thrown out at home on the play.
It was just the sixth win for the Angels over their last 17 games over Texas...The Angels improved to 4-3 against the Rangers this season...Weaver owns a 10-7 career mark against Texas...Trumbo has 27 homers on the year...The Angels were 3-for-7 with runners in scoring position, while Texas finished 1-for-7.
- TEXAS: 1
LOS ANGELES: 6
Jul 21 12:45 AM
- Mike Trout two-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Torii Hunter due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 21 12:14 AM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (27) to left. Howie Kendrick due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 20 11:56 PM
- Erick Aybar double to left scored Howie Kendrick and Alberto Callaspo with one out. Runner on second and Peter Bourjos due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 20 11:18 PM
- Howie Kendrick grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Albert Pujols with one out. Mark Trumbo out at second. Runner on first and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 20 11:14 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to center scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Albert Pujols out at home, center to catcher to end the inning.
Rangers 1, Angels 1 End 1Jul 20 10:29 PM
- Josh Hamilton struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 20 10:16 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 10:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22