Pujols, Angels power past RangersJul 23, 2012 - 4:11 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Albert Pujols homered and knocked in three runs as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim powered past the Texas Rangers, 7-4, in the rubber match of a three-game series at Angel Stadium.
Bobby Wilson also went deep and finished with two RBI for the Angels, who had lost three of their last four.
Mike Trout added a pair of hits and a run scored in the victory. He has now scored a run in 14 straight games, setting an Angels franchise and American League rookie record.
"The scoring record is great, but I'm just doing my job," said Trout.
Dan Haren (7-8) made his return from the disabled list and allowed two runs on three hits and three walks through six innings to earn the win. He had been sidelined since July 3 with lower back stiffness.
Matt Harrison (12-5) surrendered four runs on eight hits and two walks over six-plus innings to take the loss for Texas, which had won six of its last nine.
"Matt was pretty good. He kept us in the ballgame," Rangers manager Ron Washington said about Harrison. "We couldn't shut it down in the bullpen."
After Texas stranded a man on second in the top of the first inning, the Angels got on the board in the bottom of the frame when Trout slapped a leadoff triple into the right-field corner and came home two batters later on Pujols' ground-rule double to left field.
The Angels quickly added to their lead in the second inning following a base hit by Alberto Callaspo and a double by Maicer Izturis that placed runners on second and third with no outs.
Callaspo then crossed the plate on a passed ball by Rangers catcher Yorvit Torrealba before Wilson singled in Izturis for a 3-0 Angels advantage.
The Rangers closed the gap in the fourth inning when Nelson Cruz followed a one-out single by Michael Young with a blast to straightaway center field to make it a one-run game.
But the Angels regained their cushion in the seventh inning with a leadoff home run by Wilson and a two-run shot by Pujols later in the frame to take a 6-2 lead.
Torii Hunter singled prior to Pujols' 18th homer of the season.
The teams traded RBI singles by Young and Hunter in the eighth inning to make it a 7-3 game.
Texas loaded the bases with one out in the ninth inning off Ernesto Frieri to bring the tying run to the plate, but the Rangers would only get one run on a Elvis Andrus sacrifice fly to deep center field before Josh Hamilton fanned on a 3-2 fastball to end the game.
Wilson's home run was his first of the year...The Angels outhit the Rangers, 15-5...Trout extended his hit streak to 11 games...Harrison suffered just his second loss in his last 10 decisions and fell to 3-4 in 12 career appearances -- seven starts -- against the Angels...Haren improved to 5-10 in 19 career starts against Texas...The Angels lead the seasons series between the teams, 5-4.
- TEXAS: 4
LOS ANGELES: 7
Jul 22 11:17 PM
- Elvis Andrus sacrifice fly out to center scored David Murphy with two out. On the play, Yorvit Torrealba advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 4, Angels 7 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 22 11:14 PM
- Torii Hunter singled to right scoring Bobby Wilson with none out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second. Runners on first and second and Albert Pujols due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 22 10:54 PM
- Michael Young singled to center scoring Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 22 10:43 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, two-run Home Run (18) to center scored Torii Hunter. Mark Trumbo due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 22 10:21 PM
- Bobby Wilson lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Mike Trout due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 22 10:12 PM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to center scored Michael Young. David Murphy due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 3 Top 4, 1 OutJul 22 9:12 PM
- Bobby Wilson singled to center scoring Maicer Izturis with one out. Runner on first and Mike Trout due up.
Rangers 0, Angels 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 22 8:47 PM
- With Peter Bourjos batting, Alberto Callaspo scored on a Yorvit Torrealba passed ball with none out. Maicer Izturis advances to third on a passed ball. Runner on third and Peter Bourjos at the plate.
Rangers 0, Angels 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 22 8:46 PM
- Albert Pujols ground-rule-double to left scored Mike Trout with one out. Runner on second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Rangers 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 22 8:29 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22