Pujols, Trout supply the power as Angels top RangersAug 1, 2012 - 5:18 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Albert Pujols hit a pair of solo home runs and Mike Trout added a two-run homer as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim downed the Texas Rangers, 6-2, in the second test of a four-game set at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.
Trout also tied an MLB rookie record for runs scored in a month by crossing the plate twice, giving him 32 runs scored in July to tie Al Trosky, who did it for Cleveland in 1934.
Jered Weaver (14-1) allowed two runs on five hits and a walk over 6 1/3 innings to win his eighth straight start and ninth consecutive decision.
He became the first Angels pitcher to win eight starts in a row since Chuck Finley won 10 straight from July 1-August 15, 1997.
"Any time we can gain some games on these guys, especially at their home park, is clutch," Weaver said about the Rangers, who lead the Angels by three games for the top spot in the AL West. "We're getting down to the nitty gritty where we need to get some wins going and it's good to take the first two from these guys."
Derek Holland (7-6) surrendered six runs on five hits and four walks through 6 2/3 innings to take the loss for Texas, which has dropped eight of its last 12.
Neither team recorded a hit in the game until Pujols belted a solo home run over the left-field wall with one out in fourth inning.
The Rangers remained hitless until Michael Young slapped a base hit to right field with two outs in the bottom of the fifth.
But he would advance no further as Weaver retired David Murphy with a groundout to second and the Angels made it a 4-0 game in the sixth on Trout's two-run homer to left-center field and Pujols' solo shot to left two batters later.
Chris Iannetta worked a leadoff walk prior to Trout's 18th home run of the season.
After the Rangers stranded a man on third in the sixth inning, the Angels added to their advantage in the seventh inning. Holland was replaced by Tanner Scheppers following a two-out walk by Trout that placed runners on first and second, and Torii Hunter greeted the new pitcher with a double off the wall in center field, scoring Maicer Izturis, who hit a one-out single, and Trout.
"That's a good ballclub over there. They are going to hit your mistakes and you have just got to go out and make your pitches," said Holland.
Texas was able to get on the board in the home seventh when Josh Hamilton and Young hit a pair of one-out singles before rounding the bases on Murphy's double just out of the reach of Trout in right-center field, knocking Weaver out of the game.
Murphy would be stranded at second, though, as Kevin Jepsen retired Mike Napoli and Mitch Moreland to keep it a 6-2 game.
Jason Isringhausen then worked a perfect eighth inning before Ernesto Frieri retired the side in order in the ninth to close out the game.
Weaver improved to 11-7 in 28 career starts against Texas...Holland fell to 5-5 in 14 career appearances (11 starts) against the Angels...The Angels lead the season series between the teams, 7-4...The Rangers hit 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left four men on base...The Angels went 1- for-3 with runners in scoring position and stranded six.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Jul 31 10:46 PM
- David Murphy double to center scored Josh Hamilton and Michael Young. Runner on second with one out and Mike Napoli due up.
Angels 6, Rangers 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 31 10:08 PM
- Torii Hunter double to center scored Maicer Izturis and Mike Trout. Runner on second with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 6, Rangers 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 31 9:57 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, solo Home Run 2 (20) to left. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 31 9:26 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, solo Home Run (19) to left. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 31 8:51 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 31 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22