Halos use late rally to sink MarinersSep 2, 2012 - 12:19 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo's two-run, go-ahead single in the eighth inning sent the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim over the Seattle Mariners, 5-2, in the middle test of a three-game series.
Howie Kendrick added an RBI double and Albert Pujols drove in a run for the Angels, who have won the first two in the set and eight of their last 10 overall.
Ervin Santana (8-11) worked seven innings for the win, scattering four hits and a pair of runs while striking out five.
Trayvon Robinson homered and Franklin Gutierrez knocked in the other run for the Mariners, losers in three of their last four.
Felix Hernandez (13-6) was tagged in defeat for nine hits and five runs -- four earned -- over 7 1/3 frames.
Hernandez entered the eighth with a 2-1 lead, but allowed a leadoff single to Mike Trout and another hit to Torii Hunter which put runners on the corners. Pujols reached when M's third baseman Kyle Seager booted his grounder, allowing Trout to score the tying run. Two batters later, Trumbo's base hit plated two more and the King's outing was over.
"He senses [his] importance to our club," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Trumbo. "There's no doubt that putting him in RBI situations, the way he can drive the ball, he's going to have an opportunity to be one of our difference makers on the offensive side and hopefully that hit will [be] a sign of better things to come for Mark."
"It wasn't quite the same as we've seen," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said of Hernandez. "They made him work a little bit and he didn't quite have the same command but he was still really good and had good stuff. Even that eighth inning, he was ahead of both those guys they just weren't hit right at people and it just kind of rolled from there."
Stephen Pryor's wild pitch allowed pinch-runner Vernon Wells to reach second, and he scored when Kendrick doubled to the gap in left center for a 5-2 game.
Kevin Jepsen turned in a scoreless eighth, then Ernesto Frieri retired the side in order in the ninth to earn his 17th save.
The Angels jumped on top in the first inning, as Hunter singled with one out and scored when Pujols followed with a double.
Seattle moved ahead in the third. Robinson reached the seats in right center with one down, then, after Dustin Ackley walked with two down, Gutierrez doubled him in.
The Angels improved to 8-4 in the season series, and remained a perfect 6-0 at Safeco Field ... Prior to the game, the M's recalled outfielder Carlos Peguero and pitcher Erasmo Ramirez from Triple-A Tacoma ... Also before first pitch, the Halos activated pitcher Scott Downs from the bereavement list and recalled catcher John Hester, pitchers Andrew Taylor and Nick Maronde and infielder Andrew Romine from Salt Lake (PCL).
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 1 7:10 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to left center scored Vernon Wells with one out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 5, Mariners 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 1 6:33 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to left scored Torii Hunter and Albert Pujols with one out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 4, Mariners 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 1 6:32 PM
- Albert Pujols reaches first on Kyle Seager's fielding error scored Mike Trout with none out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to third, Albert Pujols to second. Runners on second and third and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 2, Mariners 2 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 1 6:28 PM
- Kendrys Morales walked. Runner on first with none out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 2 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 1 5:01 PM
- Trayvon Robinson one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right center. Brendan Ryan due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 1 4:48 PM
- Albert Pujols double to right scored Torii Hunter with one out. Runner on second and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 1 4:10 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 1 4:06 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21