Iwakuma pitches M's past HalosSep 2, 2012 - 11:13 PM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Hisashi Iwakuma shut down the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Seattle Mariners avoided a three-game sweep with a 2-1 win.
Iwakuma won his fourth straight decision after he tossed 7 1/3 scoreless innings. He gave up five hits and struck out seven without issuing a walk.
Over his last five starts, Iwakuma is 4-0 with a 1.09 earned run average.
Miguel Montero continued his dominance against Angels ace Jered Weaver (16-4). Montero picked up two hits, including his 15th home run of the season.
In his career against Weaver, Montero is 5-for-8 with four home runs.
The Mariners chased Weaver from the game after 5 1/3 innings. He gave up two runs on eight hits en route to the loss. Weaver also matched a career high with four walks and only three strikeouts.
Montero gave the Mariners their first run when he crushed an 0-1 fastball over the left-field fence in the fourth inning.
Seattle added to its lead in the fifth inning when Carlos Peguero skied a fly ball over the right-field fence to put the Mariners up two.
The Angels chased Iwakuma from the game in the eighth inning when Maicer Izturis and Chris Iannetta delivered back-to-back, one-out singles. But Josh Kinney got Mike Trout and Torii Hunter to fly out to end the threat.
The Angels finally scored when Kendrys Morales worked a one-out walk and pinch-runner Vernon Wells moved to second base on a defensive indifference against Tom Wilhelmsen in the ninth inning. Howie Kendrick lined a two-out, two-strike single to left to score Wells. After Kendrick stole second, Wilhelmsen induced a flyout from Erick Aybar to end the game and pick up his 22nd save.
The Mariners threatened to score in the second inning after Montero singled and moved to second when Justin Smoak walked. Peguero lined a two-out single to right, but Hunter gunned down Montero at the plate to end the frame.
In the third inning, the Angels also had a runner thrown out at home. Aybar led off with a base hit, stole second and moved to third when Ackley missed the catch at second. Izturis followed with a ground ball to third baseman Kyle Seager, who threw home and retired Aybar.
The Mariners have won 16 of their last 19 games at Safeco Field ... Only Curtis Granderson (5) and Alex Rodriguez (5) have hit more home runs against Weaver than Montero ... The Angels went 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded six ... Seattle went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left seven on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Sep 2 6:59 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to left scored Vernon Wells with two out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 2 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 2 6:56 PM
- Carlos Peguero lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Brendan Ryan due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 2 5:34 PM
- Justin Smoak grounded out to first. None on with two outs and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 2 5:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 4:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21