A's take aim at 10th straight win vs. AngelsSep 3, 2012 - 2:31 PM (Sports Network) - The Oakland Athletics take aim at a 10th straight win on Monday when they begin a three-game series with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at the Coliseum.
Oakland's roll continued this past weekend, as it swept a three-game series over the reeling Boston Red Sox. The A's completed the whitewash on Sunday, as Stephen Drew went 3-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI in Oakland's 6-2 win.
Seth Smith was 2-for-3 with a two-run home run and two runs scored for the red-hot Athletics, who are in the midst of their best stretch since running off 10 straight wins in June of 2006.
They also share the wild card lead with Baltimore and are just three games back of the Texas Rangers in the American League West.
"We're doing things pretty well," said A's manager Bob Melvin.
That includes Brett Anderson (3-0), who went six innings, giving up one run on five hits with a walk and four strikeouts. Anderson has a 0.90 ERA in three starts since coming off the disabled list after missing more than a year recovering from Tommy John surgery.
"To give us three games with that type effort with the magnitude of the games ... it's all really impressive," said Melvin.
Heading to the hill on Monday will be lefty Tommy Milone, who has allowed just one run in winning his last two starts. Milone scattered seven hits over six scoreless innings on Tuesday in Cleveland, as he ran his record to 11-9 to go along with a 3.73 ERA.
Milone has beaten the Halos twice this season, pitching to a 3.27 ERA in the process.
Los Angeles, meanwhile, will be looking to get back on track on Monday after having a five-game win streak stopped on Sunday with a 2-1 loss to Seattle.
Jered Weaver (16-4) gave up two runs on eight hits en route to the loss. Weaver also matched a career high with four walks and only three strikeouts.
"He was grinding out there today," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "Obviously he didn't have his best stuff. He gave us a chance to win and we'll see how he feels in the next couple days moving forward."
Hoping for a better effort today, the Angels hand the ball to lefty C.J. Wilson, who earned his first victory in 12 starts in his last outing. Wilson beat the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday, limiting them to three runs and eight hits in six innings to improve to 10-9 with a 3.86 ERA.
He had pitched to a 6.09 ERA during his 11-game drought.
"It's a big step forward for C.J.," Scioscia said. "He got away from some of the things that make him so good. He's a lot better pitcher than he showed for the last month."
Wilson lost to the A's the last time he faced them and is 6-7 with a 3.56 ERA in 40 games (11 starts) against them.
Oakland is 7-5 versus the Angels this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
Sep 3 7:33 PM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 3 7:24 PM
- Torii Hunter sacrifice fly out to right scored Mike Trout with two out. None on and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 3 6:20 PM
- Chris Iannetta one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left center scored Vernon Wells. Mike Trout due up.
Angels 7, Athletics 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 3 6:13 PM
- Josh Donaldson lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Derek Norris due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 3 5:47 PM
- Josh Reddick singled to left scoring Jonny Gomes with one out. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to second on Vernon Wells's fielding error. Runner on second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 3 5:30 PM
- Vernon Wells lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 0 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 3 5:13 PM
- Erick Aybar singled to center scoring Howie Kendrick with two out. Runner on first and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 3 5:02 PM
- Torii Hunter lead-off Home Run (13) to left center. Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 3 4:53 PM
- Chris Iannetta singled to left scoring Alberto Callaspo with one out. On the play, Vernon Wells out at third, left to third to second to short. Chris Ianetta advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 3 4:37 PM
- Vernon Wells singled to left scoring Erick Aybar with one out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 3 4:34 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 4:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22