Angels sweep A'sSep 6, 2012 - 3:21 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Torii Hunter knocked in three runs and Dan Haren tossed six solid innings, as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim beat the Oakland Athletics, 7-1, to complete a three-game series sweep.
Howie Kendrick added two RBI for the Angels, who recorded their first sweep in Oakland since Oct. 2-4, 2009.
Haren (10-10) allowed one run on three hits to pick up the victory. He struck out seven and walked three.
"I'm just happy for the team," Haren said. "Sweeping a team like that, and going back home, it feels really good."
Seth Smith drove in the lone run for the Athletics, who entered this series on a nine-game winning streak.
Brandon McCarthy (8-6) gave up three runs on five hits before exiting the game with a head injury. In the top of the fourth, Erick Aybar hit a line drive back at McCarthy. The ball nailed McCarthy on the side of the head, sending the Oakland starter to the ground. He did not experience a loss of consciousness and was taken to Summit Hospital for precautionary reasons.
"It obviously hurts, because he's our No. 1 guy out there," said A's catcher Derek Norris, when asked about the prospect of losing McCarthy. "You never want to see anything like that. Obviously, your heart drops immediately because you don't know."
The Angels scored three runs in the third and never looked back. Alberto Callaspo led off with a single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, advanced to third on Mike Trout's groundout and raced home on Hunter's base hit. Albert Pujols doubled and Kendrys Morales was intentionally walked to load the bases. Kendrick followed with a two-run single to right.
The A's scored their only run of the game in the bottom half of the frame. Derek Norris and Cliff Pennington walked before Coco Crisp grounded into a fielder's choice. But Pennington was safe at second on first baseman Morales's throwing error, loading the bases. Smith's RBI single cut the gap to 3-1, but Haren retired the next two batters.
Oakland put runners on first and third with one out in the seventh. Nick Maronde came in from the bullpen and struck out Crisp and Smith.
Los Angeles tacked on four insurance runs in the ninth. Ryan Cook loaded the bases with no outs. Grant Balfour came in and walked pinch-hitter Maicer Izturis to force in a run. Hunter hit a two-run single two batters later. With two outs and runners on the corners, Hunter stole second and Izturis swiped home.
The Angels lead the season series by an 8-7 margin ... Haren improved to 3-3 in nine career starts against the A's ... McCarthy fell to 1-4 in 11 games (seven starts) against the Angels ... Los Angeles ace Jered Weaver flew back to Los Angeles on Wednesday morning to have his sore right shoulder examined.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Sep 5 6:59 PM
- Maicer Izturis stole home. On the play, Torii Hunter stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Kendrys Morales at the plate.
Angels 7, Athletics 1 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 5 6:55 PM
- Torii Hunter singled to center scored Erick Aybar and Alberto Callaspo. On the play, Maicer Izturis advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 1 Top 9, 1 OutSep 5 6:34 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Maicer Izturis walk scored Peter Bourjos. Bases loaded with none out and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 1 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 5 6:28 PM
- Seth Smith single to right scored Derek Norris. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to second and Cliff Pennington advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Josh Reddick due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 5 4:31 PM
- Stephen Drew struck out swinging. None on with one out and Derek Norris due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 0 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 5 4:22 PM
- Torii Hunter single to right scored Alberto Callaspo. Runner on first with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 5 4:13 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 3:38 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22