A's hold off HalosSep 12, 2012 - 1:00 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Brandon Moss and Yoenis Cespedes each clubbed home runs to back a solid outing from Dan Straily on Tuesday, as the Oakland Athletics held off the Los Angeles of Anaheim, 6-5, in the second installment of a four-game set.
Straily (2-0) surrendered three runs on seven hits with eight strikeouts over 6 2/3 frames to earn his second big league victory.
"In the middle of the third, Straily got really good," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "He worked really hard and almost got us a full seven."
Moss launched a two-run blast, while Cespedes added a solo shot for the A's, who have won 11 straight road games for the first time since April 9-26, 1981.
Oakland kept pace with Texas, which also won on Tuesday, and remained three games back in the AL West.
Jerome Williams (6-8) was tagged with the loss after giving up four runs on five hits over 3 1/3 frames.
Vernon Wells and Torii Hunter each went deep for the Angels, who have dropped two straight on the heels of a six-game winning streak to fall 7 1/2 games behind Texas and 2 1/2 games back of the final AL wild card spot.
"We had opportunities," Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "Tonight was one of those nights. We just didn't get it done."
After the Angels failed to score with runners on the corners and no outs in the first, Cespedes crushed the second pitch of the second inning into center field to provide the A's with a 1-0 advantage.
The Angels responded quickly in the bottom half as Erick Aybar smacked a leadoff single and Wells followed with a blast over the left-field wall to give the Halos a 2-1 edge.
Oakland jumped back in front in the fourth when Cespedes ripped a one-out single before Moss launched a towering shot into right-center field.
Josh Donaldson then singled and moved to third on a base hit from George Kottaras before scoring on a sacrifice fly from Stephen Drew for a 4-2 lead.
Hunter launched a two-out, solo homer in the seventh to chase Straily from the game. Pat Neshek entered and allowed Albert Pujols to reach on a Drew error, but Sean Doolittle finished off the frame by grounding out Kendrys Morales.
Oakland tacked on some insurance in the ninth, as Cliff Pennington smacked a two-out base hit and Coco Crisp followed with a triple into the right-field corner. Hunter had trouble fielding the ball as it bounced around in the corner, allowing Crisp to score for a 6-3 edge.
Grant Balfour walked back-to-back hitters to start the ninth before Hunter plated a run with a single back up the middle. Pujols followed with a base hit to left field to score Mike Trout and put runners on the corners with no outs.
Jerry Blevins entered and fanned Morales before getting Howie Kendrick to ground into a game-ending double play for his first save of the season.
Oakland has won five straight overall ... Williams has now lost six straight decisions ... The A's have homered in 16 of their last 17 games ... LA went 2- for-10 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base ... Aybar now has an 11-game hitting streak.
- OAKLAND: 6
LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 12 1:22 AM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Mike Trout with none out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kendrys Morales due up.
Athletics 6, Angels 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 12 1:14 AM
- Torii Hunter single to center scored Chris Iannetta with none out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Albert Pujols due up.
Athletics 6, Angels 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 12 1:09 AM
- Coco Crisp triple to right scored Cliff Pennington, and Crisp scored on Torii Hunter's fielding error with two outs. None on and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 6, Angels 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 12 12:56 AM
- Torii Hunter two-out, solo Home Run (14) to center. Albert Pujols due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 12 12:20 AM
- Cliff Pennington flied out to center to end the inning.
Athletics 4, Angels 2 Mid 4Sep 11 11:25 PM
- Brandon Moss one-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right scored Yoenis Cespedes. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 3, Angels 2 Top 4, 1 OutSep 11 11:18 PM
- Vernon Wells none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Erick Aybar. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 11 10:39 PM
- Josh Donaldson struck out looking. Runner on first with one out and George Kottaras due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 11 10:29 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 11 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22