Weaver, Angels blank A'sSep 14, 2012 - 2:41 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver spun seven stellar innings of two- hit ball Thursday, as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim used a six-run seventh inning to down the Oakland Athletics, 6-0.
Weaver (17-4) missed his last start due to a case of right biceps tendinitis, but showed no ill effects on Thursday as he struck out nine and walked just one en route to the victory.
"I felt great," Weaver said. "I was able to throw the ball the way I wanted to. I tried to locate and I was able to throw strikes."
The 29-year-old right-hander improved to 3-0 in four starts against Oakland this season and has thrown 18 consecutive scoreless innings against the A's.
Torii Hunter sparked the six-run seventh with a solo shot and then capped the frame with a run-scoring single, as the Angels salvaged the finale of this four-game set and sit 3 1/2 games back of the New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles, who are currently tied for the final AL Wild Card spot.
Brett Anderson (4-1) allowed five runs on nine hits over 6 2/3 frames for the A's, who had an Oakland-record tying 12-game road winning streak snapped.
"I thought Brett's stuff was good," Oakland manager Bob Melvin said of his starter. "He's pitching at a high level."
Oakland still maintains the first AL Wild Card spot, but fell 3 1/2 games back of the Texas Rangers for the top spot in the AL West.
After the Angels failed to score with a runner in scoring position in the fifth and sixth innings, Hunter finally got the Halos on the board in the seventh when he crushed a leadoff blast into the right-center field seats to provide Weaver with a 1-0 lead.
"Anderson had everything working, but he threw me a two-seam fastball away and I was able to get extension," Hunter said of his home run. "I just tried to get something started. It felt great and I think it got us going."
Erick Aybar followed two batters later with a double into left field and quickly scored on Mark Trumbo's base hit to center field to extend the margin to 2-0.
Vernon Wells then singled and Mike Trout walked two batters later to load the bases and chase Anderson from the contest.
Jesse Chavez entered and Alberto Callaspo greeted him with a single into right field to score Trumbo and Wells for a 4-0 edge.
After Trout scored on a passed ball and Albert Pujols walked, Hunter, who started the rally, capped the six-run frame with a line-drive base hit into center field to score Callaspo for a 6-0 lead.
Kevin Jepsen worked out of trouble in the eighth and Nick Maronde fired a perfect ninth to complete the shutout.
The A's last won 12 in a row on the road from July 31-Aug. 15, 1971 ... Oakland outfielder Yoenis Cespedes left the game in the bottom of the fifth inning with a sprained right wrist ... Chavez made his major league debut ... Aybar extended his hitting streak to 13 games ... Oakland has won 15 of its last 19 games, with all four losses coming against the Angels.
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 13 6:11 PM
- Torii Hunter singled to center scoring Alberto Callaspo. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 13 5:42 PM
- Albert Pujols walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 13 5:41 PM
- Alberto Callaspo singled to right scoring Mark Trumbo and Vernon Wells. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 13 5:38 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to center scoring Erick Aybar. Runner on first with one out and Vernon Wells due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 13 5:24 PM
- Torii Hunter lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Howie Kendrick due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 13 5:21 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 3:39 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22