Angels rout Rangers in Weaver's 100th career winSep 19, 2012 - 6:00 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver tossed seven effective innings and the Angels' offense put up eight runs in the fourth en route to an 11-3 rout of the Texas Rangers in the opener of a three-game series.
Weaver (18-4) allowed three runs on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts to earn his 100th career major league win. The righty became the sixth player in club history to win 100 games in an Angels uniform.
Chris Iannetta ripped a two-run single, while every player in the Los Angeles starting lineup, with the exception of Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo, drove in a run in the club's fourth win in the last five games. Erick Aybar added three hits in the win.
Ian Kinsler clubbed a two-run home run and Mike Napoli added a solo shot for the Rangers, who had won two of three coming in.
Ryan Dempster (6-2) lasted just 3 1/3 innings -- his shortest outing in a Rangers uniform -- and allowed five runs on six hits and three walks.
Trailing, 3-1, heading into the fourth, the Angels offense exploded for eight runs to take control of the game.
Vernon Wells started the inning with a base hit and Alberto Callaspo walked. Iannetta stroked a long single off the wall in right, tying the game at three. Trout drew a walk, which spelled the end of the night for Dempster.
Tanner Scheppers came out of the Texas bullpen and plunked Aybar to load the bases. With Torii Hunter at the plate, Scheppers fired a wild pitch past Napoli to the backstop, allowing Aybar to score the go-ahead run.
Scheppers suffered a bruised right knee while covering the plate on Aybar's slide home, as Napoli's throw hit home plate umpire Jim Wolf in the leg and bounced away, which allowed Trout to score.
Mark Lowe came on in relief of the injured Scheppers and walked Hunter to put runners on the corners with one out.
Kendrys Morales beat out an infield single for an RBI and Howie Kendrick ripped one back up the middle, scoring Hunter. Wells, in his second at-bat of the inning, lofted a sacrifice fly to left and Callaspo capped the huge inning with an RBI double into the right field corner for the six-run lead.
Trout drew a one-out walk in the fifth against Yoshinori Tateyama and came around to score on a base hit by Aybar, and the Halos capped the blowout with a pinch-hit RBI groundout by Maicer Izturis in the eighth.
The Angels jumped out to the early lead with a run in their first turn up. Aybar got things started with a one-out base hit, swiped second and came around to score on a single up the middle by Hunter.
Napoli led off the Texas third with a towering shot over the wall in center field to tie the game. Moreland followed with a walk and Kinsler pounded a fastball into the left field seats to give the Rangers a 3-1 advantage.
Tuesday marked the Angels' final homestand of 2012. They will face Texas, Chicago and Seattle ... Los Angeles improved to 11-5 in the month of September... Weaver is 9-0 in 14 career starts at home against Texas ... Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton left the game in the fourth inning due to sinus discomfort ... It was Aybar's second consecutive three-hit game ... Dempster had his five-game winning streak snapped ... The Angels half of the fourth inning lasted 39 minutes, 18 seconds.
- TEXAS: 3
LOS ANGELES: 11
Sep 19 1:18 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Maicer Izturis grounded out first to pitcher scoring Kole Calhoun with two out. None on and Vernon Wells due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 19 1:05 AM
- Erick Aybar singled to right scoring Mike Trout with one out. Runner on first and Torii Hunter due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 10 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 19 12:15 AM
- Alberto Callaspo doubled to right scoring Howie Kendrick with two out. Runner on second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 18 11:49 PM
- Vernon Wells sacrifice fly out to left scored Kendrys Morales with two out. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 18 11:48 PM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center scoring Torii Hunter with one out. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to third. Howie Kendrick advanced to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Vernon Wells due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 7 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 18 11:45 PM
- Kendrys Morales singled to pitcher scoring Erick Aybar with one out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second. Runners on first and second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 6 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 18 11:40 PM
- With Torii Hunter batting, Chris Iannetta scored on a Tanner Scheppers wild pitch. On the play, Mike Trout scored on Mike Napoli's throwing error with one out. Erick Aybar advances to third. Runner on third and Torii Hunter at the plate.
Rangers 3, Angels 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 18 11:32 PM
- Mike Trout walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Erick Aybar due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 18 11:24 PM
- Ian Kinsler none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left scored Mitch Moreland. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 1 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 18 10:45 PM
- Mike Napoli lead-off Home Run (19) to center. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 1 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 18 10:43 PM
- Torii Hunter singled to center scoring Erick Aybar with one out. Runner on first and Kendrys Morales due up.
Rangers 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 18 10:23 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 18 10:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22