Angels fall to Mariners, still two behind A'sSep 27, 2012 - 11:46 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - John Jaso clubbed a two-run homer and added an RBI double during a four-run seventh inning, as the Seattle Mariners posted a 9-4 victory and dealt the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim a significant setback in their pursuit of a playoff spot.
Jesus Montero had two RBI for the Mariners, who avoided a three-game sweep. Hisashi Iwakuma (8-5) gave up two runs -- one earned -- on seven hits over six innings to improve to 3-0 in three career starts against the Angels.
"Hisashi threw the ball well and kept us in it," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "Putting that big inning together was good to see."
Dan Haren (12-12) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on six hits in 5 1/3 innings for Los Angeles, which had its winning streak snapped at five games.
The Angels are two games behind Oakland in the race for the AL's second wild card spot and wasted an opportunity to make up ground after the Texas Rangers beat the Athletics on Thursday.
Clinging to a 3-2 lead, the Mariners created a little separation with a four-run seventh.
Angels reliever Garrett Richards issued a bases-loaded walk to Trayvon Robinson after intentionally walking Dustin Ackley with one out. Kyle Seager contributed a run-scoring single, Montero lofted a sacrifice fly and Jaso doubled home Robinson. The inning began with back-to-back singles by Michael Saunders and Casper Wells.
The Angels got a two-run double from Howie Kendrick in the eighth, but Seattle countered with a pair in the ninth.
Ackley led off with an infield single and Robinson dropped down a bunt fielded by LaTroy Hawkins, who made an errant throw to first base. The reliever's misplay enabled Ackley to score and Robinson to advance to third before Montero brought him home with a one-out double.
"Our bullpen had a rough afternoon," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
A two-out error led to the Angels scoring the game's first run in the second. Erick Aybar reached on the bobble by the second baseman Ackley and swiped a base before scoring on Vernon Wells' single that deflected off the glove of Seager. The Seattle third baseman dove to his left, but was unable to stop the ball from rolling into the outfield.
Jaso's two-out, two-strike home run put the Mariners on top in the fourth, but Los Angeles tied the game in the home half on Alberto Callaspo's RBI single. The base hit followed a leadoff double by Kendrys Morales.
Seattle retook the lead in the fifth, taking advantage of an E6. With a runner on first and one out, Ackley hit a grounder that was fielded by the first baseman Morales. Morales' throw to second went off the glove of Aybar, allowing Ackley to reach and Wells, who led off with a single, to move to third. Wells then scored on a fielder's choice by Franklin Gutierrez, who was thrown out at home on a Seager double.
The Mariners have now homered in 16 straight games ... Gutierrez slammed shoulder-first into the wall in right-center in the bottom of the fifth after robbing Mike Trout of a hit. He wound up leaving the game an inning later, replaced in the lineup by Robinson ... The Angels wrapped up the home portion of the schedule with a 46-35 record.
- SEATTLE: 9
LOS ANGELES: 4
Sep 27 7:05 PM
- Jesus Montero double to center scored Trayvon Robinson with one out. Runner on second and John Jaso due up.
Mariners 9, Angels 4 Top 9, 1 OutSep 27 6:45 PM
- Trayvon Robinson sacrifice bunt, reached third on LaTroy Hawkins's throwing error scored Dustin Ackley with none out. Runner on third and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 8, Angels 4 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 27 6:42 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to left scored Albert Pujols and Alberto Callaspo with two out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Mariners 7, Angels 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 27 6:35 PM
- John Jaso double to right scored Trayvon Robinson with two out. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on second and third and Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 7, Angels 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 27 5:59 PM
- Jesus Montero sacrifice fly to center scored Dustin Ackley with two out. Runners on first and second and John Jaso due up.
Mariners 6, Angels 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 27 5:58 PM
- Kyle Seager single to right scored Casper Wells with one out. On the play, Trayvon Robinson advances to second and Dustin Ackley advances to third. Bases loaded and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 5, Angels 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 27 5:56 PM
- Trayvon Robinson walk scored Michael Saunders with one out. Bases loaded and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 4, Angels 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 27 5:53 PM
- Mike Trout flied out to center. Runner on first with one out and Torii Hunter due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 2 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 27 5:15 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to left scored Kendrys Morales with none out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 27 4:49 PM
- Justin Smoak singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 27 4:41 PM
- Vernon Wells single to left, deflected by third scored Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on first and Chris Iannetta due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 27 4:12 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 3:39 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21