Iwakuma, M's top AngelsOct 3, 2012 - 5:57 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Hisashi Iwakuma worked six shutout innings to guide the Seattle Mariners to a 6-1 win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the middle test of a three-game set at Safeco Field.
Iwakuma (9-5) allowed six hits and struck out seven to win his third straight start.
Michael Saunders went 2-for-4 with two doubles and three RBI and Kyle Seager had two hits -- including a solo homer -- and scored twice for the Mariners, who snapped a four-game skid.
"It was a big day for us, we needed to get another win," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "The way these guys have been fighting through this tough schedule here this last three weeks of the season, I've been proud of the fact that they haven't given in to anybody, they haven't backed down from anybody."
Dan Haren (12-13) allowed five runs -- three earned -- on seven hits and struck out eight over six innings.
"1-for-14 (with runners in scoring positions), that really could have changed the complexion on the game and we just couldn't get that hit early that would've helped Dan relax and make some pitches," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "On the defensive side, we cracked the door open for them too often and we couldn't absorb it with some clutch hits, it was a tough night."
Howie Kendrick knocked in the lone run for the Angels, who were eliminated from playoff contention on Monday following the Oakland A's 4-3 win over the Texas Rangers.
Seager's solo shot in the first gave the Mariners an early 1-0 lead.
Saunders' two-run double in the fourth extended Seattle's spread to 3-0. John Jaso reached on a fielding error and Justin Smoak doubled to left field before Saunders ripped his first RBI double of the night off the wall in center field.
The Mariners added two more in the sixth and one in the eighth to go up 6-0.
In the sixth, Seager doubled and later scored on Mark Trumbo's fielding error. Following a double play, Jesus Montero singled to left field before coming around on a Saunders double to right field.
Montero scored Jaso with a single to center field in the eighth inning.
Kendrick scored Andrew Romine with a base hit in the ninth, but it wasn't nearly enough for the Angels, who fell for just the second time in Seattle this season.
Montero has started 77 games at designated hitter, fifth-most all time for a rookie ... Haren tied a career-high in losses. He also lost 13 with the A's in 2006 ... The Angels are now 7-2 at Safeco field this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Oct 3 1:00 AM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center scored Andrew Romine with two outs, advances to second on Michael Saunders's fielding error. Runner on second with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 6 Top 9, 2 OutsOct 3 12:59 AM
- Jesus Montero single to right scored John Jaso with one out. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael Saunders due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 6 Bot 8, 1 OutOct 3 12:45 AM
- Michael Saunders double to right scored Jesus Montero with two outs, advances to third on Mark Trumbo's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsOct 3 12:09 AM
- John Jaso singled to right. On the play, Kyle Seager scored on Mark Trumbo's fielding error with none out. Runner on first and Justin Smoak due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsOct 3 12:07 AM
- Michael Saunders double to center scored John Jaso and Justin Smoak with two outs. Runner on second and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsOct 2 11:28 PM
- Kyle Seager two-out, solo Home Run (20) to right. John Jaso due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsOct 2 10:28 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Oct 2 10:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21