Angels' disappointing year ends in 12-0 loss to M'sOct 4, 2012 - 3:46 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Casper Wells hit a three-run home run and drove in five as the Seattle Mariners capped the regular season with a resounding 12-0 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim.
Jesus Montero drove in three runs and went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, while Carlos Triunfel had two RBI for the Mariners (75-87), who won their final two games of the season but finished last in the AL West for a third straight year.
"Got a homer today, team won, got some momentum going into the offseason, so it's good all around," said Wells.
Blake Beavan (11-11) was able to move to .500 for the 2012 campaign thanks to an eight-inning performance that saw him give up seven hits and one walk.
"It feels great, this being my last start this year, going out the way I want to go out," said Beavan.
Mike Trout capped his phenomenal rookie season with a 2-for-3 game that included a double for the Angels (89-73), who finished third in the AL West and missed out on the playoffs for a third straight year.
Jered Weaver (20-5) pitched just one inning for Anaheim and gave up two runs to finish his season. He had a four-start winning streak snapped, but thanks to the 20-win campaign and a 2.81 earned-run average, he will be in contention for the AL Cy Young award just one year after finishing second to Detroit's Justin Verlander.
"If I would've had to do it again I probably wouldn't of gone back out there, but I wanted to give it a go and the guys were more than willing to strap it on and try to get me there to 21 (wins), but it wasn't the right thing to do," said Weaver. "
Seattle got all the runs it needed in the first inning, as Seager drove in a run with a double and later scored on a Montero fielder's choice for a 2-0 lead.
The score stayed that way until the third, when Montero doubled to right to plate Wells and Seager for a 4-0 game.
Wells' two-run single in the sixth scored Montero and Michael Saunders.
Seattle plated six more runs in the seventh, with Montero's single that scored John Jaso thanks to a throwing error by Andrew Romine leading the outburst. Triunfel singled in two more runs later in the frame and Wells capped the scoring with his 10th homer of the year, a three-run shot over the wall in left for a 12-0 lead.
Three of Weaver's losses this year came against the Mariners. He fell to 12-7 lifetime against Seattle ... Trout finished the season with a .326 average, 30 home runs, 83 RBI, 129 runs scored and 49 stolen bases, all of which were tops among rookies in the majors this season ... The Angels won the season series, 11-8.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Oct 3 9:38 PM
- Casper Wells two-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left scored Trayvon Robinson and Carlos Triunfel. Kyle Seager due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 12 Bot 7, 2 OutsOct 3 9:08 PM
- Carlos Triunfel single to center scored Justin Smoak and Jesus Montero with one out. On the play, Trayvon Robinson advances to second. Runners on first and second with Dustin Ackley due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 9 Bot 7, 1 OutOct 3 9:02 PM
- Jesus Montero singled to third. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to second and John Jaso scored on Andrew Romine's throwing error with none out. Runners on first and second with Michael Saunders due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsOct 3 8:58 PM
- Casper Wells single to center scored Jesus Montero and Michael Saunders with two out. On the play, Trayvon Robinson advances to third. Runners on second and third with Kyle Seager due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsOct 3 8:34 PM
- Jesus Montero double to right scored Casper Wells and Kyle Seager with two out. Runner on second and Michael Saunders due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsOct 3 7:39 PM
- Jesus Montero grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scoring Kyle Seager with two out. On the play, Justin Smoak out at second John Jaso advances to third. Runners on first and third with Michael Saunders due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsOct 3 7:01 PM
- Kyle Seager double to left scored Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on second and John Jaso due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 1 OutOct 3 6:53 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Oct 3 6:42 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21